cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco names new Defensive Coordinator - kind of

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695243089,00.html

How is this newsworthy if nothing changes? I can't believe that Hill agreed to stick around for this. to me, it's a slap in the face to give him a title "in name only" but where "nothing changes" and Mendenhall still has control of the defense. Then, to claim he is the first African American Coordinator at BYU - that's ridiculous unless he's actually been made the first African American Coordinator in more than just title. i see this as insulting to Hill.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

How is this newsworthy if nothing changes? I can't believe that Hill agreed to stick around for this. to me, it's a slap in the face to give him a title "in name only" but where "nothing changes" and Mendenhall still has control of the defense. Then, to claim he is the first African American Coordinator at BYU - that's ridiculous unless he's actually been made the first African American Coordinator in more than just title. i see this as insulting to Hill.
Either you couldn't be more wrong about it being insulting to Hill or Hill is too much of an idiot to see that it should be insulting to him. Which is it?

It's fairly obvious he wasn't insulted by it.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Either you couldn't be more wrong about it being insulting to Hill or Hill is too much of an idiot to see that it should be insulting to him. Which is it?

It's fairly obvious he wasn't insulted by it.
i'm sure hill has been promised that eventually he will be given full control. but to call him the defensive coordinator, without him being the actual defensive coordinator is kind of like saying i just bought a new lexus but i wasn't given the keys. hill is a stud and he deserves to be the dc. i think it is silly to make an announcement that he is the dc and then to say that really, nothing has changed.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i'm sure hill has been promised that eventually he will be given full control. but to call him the defensive coordinator, without him being the actual defensive coordinator is kind of like saying i just bought a new lexus but i wasn't given the keys. hill is a stud and he deserves to be the dc. i think it is silly to make an announcement that he is the dc and then to say that really, nothing has changed.
I tend to agree with you, but apparently it's not much of an issue to Hill. Possibly due to the reason you mentioned in your first sentence.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the impression that when Bronco said not much will change that he was playing up the role that Hill has played thus far, making sure that Hill gets credit for the success of the defense. Being named the DC entails an upgrade in pay and prestige. No one is going to see that as a slap in the face.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I got the impression that when Bronco said not much will change that he was playing up the role that Hill has played thus far, making sure that Hill gets credit for the success of the defense. Being named the DC entails an upgrade in pay and prestige. No one is going to see that as a slap in the face.
first part could be correct, but i still disagree w/ the last sentence. ambition is not satisfied w/ pay increase only - at least not for me. it would be like my lawfirm telling me i can consider myself a partner but then not giving me a greater role or pay w/ the firm.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
first part could be correct, but i still disagree w/ the last sentence. ambition is not satisfied w/ pay increase only - at least not for me. it would be like my lawfirm telling me i can consider myself a partner but then not giving me a greater role or pay w/ the firm.
Or if you had already been a rainmaker for several years as an associate, big clients, etc. and they finally made you a partner and gave you the requisite pay. But your day to day role didn't really change because you'd already been doing the things a partner does.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Or if you had already been a rainmaker for several years as an associate, big clients, etc. and they finally made you a partner and gave you the requisite pay. But your day to day role didn't really change because you'd already been doing the things a partner does.
so you're saying that during the last year, while hill was the db coach, he was essentially the dc? no.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

appearance over content.
Not that surprising.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
appearance over content.
Not that surprising.
The explanation may have been so poorly worded that we may not know what actually transpired. One key point many may be missing. Hill got a pay raise.

I believe what is transpiring is that Hill is getting credit for the defensive play this year generally and that Bronco is simply stating, "hey guys, Hill was really the real deal last year, so we're moving him up in title to what he was actually doing."

So those who want to find something condescending about it, should probably move along.