cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores

Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Classical Learning

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles...g-fathers.html
Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

I'm a fan of an education in the Classics, though I admit I tend towards studying them in translation. I also don't believe that the study of Latin or Ancient Greek should be compulsory, but an option, as I think there are so many languages that one could choose to study that would bring equal edification in the Liberal Arts.

An important thing about the Classics and Classical languages that I try and convey to my students is their inculturation, as it were, into so many facets of American and modern global culture: architecture, film, literature, law, politics, religion. While I had lessons in 6th grade (ca. 1986) about doric and ionic columns and the Athenian League, most of my students (born ca. 1993) know precious little about anything Classical other than Gladiator and Troy and the religious kids know that Pontius Pilate was an evil Roman.

I will teach my kids the Classics. Luckily, my best friend is a professor of Ancient Greek at Howard, so he is there to answer questions when I have them from my own studies. I'm currently working on Herodotus.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote