cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Genarlow Wilson finally released from prison

I have been following this story from the beginning and for those that dont know who he is here is a little background:

When he was 17 he recieved consenual oral sex from a 15 year old girl. The girl admitted it was consenual and that he did not force her to do anything she didnt want to do. The state of Georgia has a law that says if you are 2 years older than the person you are having sexual intercourse with and you are both minors it is considered a misdemeanor, however if you are having oral sex its a felony.

He was charged with felony child molestation and he was convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison. The Georgia Supreme court changed the law in 2006 making oral sex also a misdemeanor.

Yesterday the Supreme Court met and with a 4-3 vote they released him from Prison after he served 2 years and 8 months.

Sometimes common sense needs to just prevail, who cares what the law said especially considering the law is ridiculous.

Here is an article about it: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3080331
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Wasn't he recruited out of High School, or at least had a semi promising future as a D1 athlete?

I wonder how many schools would still be interested in the kid. Obviously he has a ways to go before qualifying I'd imagine, but spending 2 years in the joint would give him an opportunity to bulk up some I'd imagine...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Wasn't he recruited out of High School, or at least had a semi promising future as a D1 athlete?

I wonder how many schools would still be interested in the kid. Obviously he has a ways to go before qualifying I'd imagine, but spending 2 years in the joint would give him an opportunity to bulk up some I'd imagine...
I'm sure the University of Miami would be interested. And Dennis Erickson is now at Arizona Sate.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote