cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Romney and his dad

Tomorrow's NYT has a piece on Romney and his dad.

Romney is getting a lot of coverage in the NYT lately. Any coverage is good coverage, even if it's not all flattering.

An excerpt...

"But the younger Mr. Romney is also mounting his campaign from the opposite end of the party — courting Christian conservatives and anti-tax activists. His father was a hero to party liberals. Among his signature accomplishments were increasing public school budgets, and introducing a civil rights commission, income tax, and state minimum wage to Michigan. At the 1964 Republican convention, with Mitt watching, George Romney picked a fight with supporters of Senator Barry Goldwater by suggesting he planned a “racist campaign.” Four years later, he kicked off his own campaign with a tour of slums.

Some of George Romney’s former advisers said they were not sure he would even be a member of today’s more conservative Republican Party. Two argued that the father would not have changed positions on matters of principle, the way they believe his son has on abortion and other issues. (Opponents say Mr. Romney has shifted on gun control, gay rights and immigration as well).

“George would have made up his mind and his public positions much earlier, and stuck with it regardless of the political consequences,” said Richard L. Milliman, a former adviser."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/us...romney.html?hp

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 12-18-2007 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added the link
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Tomorrow's NYT has a piece on Romney and his dad.

Romney is getting a lot of coverage in the NYT lately. Any coverage is good coverage, even if it's not all flattering.

An excerpt...

"But the younger Mr. Romney is also mounting his campaign from the opposite end of the party — courting Christian conservatives and anti-tax activists. His father was a hero to party liberals. Among his signature accomplishments were increasing public school budgets, and introducing a civil rights commission, income tax, and state minimum wage to Michigan. At the 1964 Republican convention, with Mitt watching, George Romney picked a fight with supporters of Senator Barry Goldwater by suggesting he planned a “racist campaign.” Four years later, he kicked off his own campaign with a tour of slums.

Some of George Romney’s former advisers said they were not sure he would even be a member of today’s more conservative Republican Party. Two argued that the father would not have changed positions on matters of principle, the way they believe his son has on abortion and other issues. (Opponents say Mr. Romney has shifted on gun control, gay rights and immigration as well).

“George would have made up his mind and his public positions much earlier, and stuck with it regardless of the political consequences,” said Richard L. Milliman, a former adviser."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/us...romney.html?hp

I think in another thread I indicated Governor Romney, the father, was an advocate for civil rights based on my personal experiences when I was in Michigan as a missionary.

Of course Mike was able to explain to me how I should have felt and Romney showed no real courage.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mitt is the spitting image of his father.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mitt is the spitting image of his father.
That's better than looking like the postman.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
That's better than looking like the postman.
I'm laughing at that one.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

A Meet the Press webvideo on Mitt and his father:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...84027#22284027
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote