cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who would place Reagan as our best president

over the last fifty years?

Perhaps I'm jaded but no president is even close.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Agree.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I would. I'd even put him ahead of FDR based solely on taxes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

If you are jaded, then the entire country must have been jaded.

There is no comparable electoral mandate to Reagan's re-election in 1984. 525 out of 538 possible votes. No other president has done this.

His funeral procession went through my hometown of Thousand Oaks, CA. My wife and our ddd's went home that weekend, as did all my siblings and their spouses, and we went down the street to the main road to camp out for a few hours and wait for the motorcade.

What impressed me most about that day was the bi-partisan atmosphere. There seemed to be as many Dems as Reps along the route...at least where we were. People were swapping stories about the "old days" when Reagan was Gov of California, about the fall of communism, and other Reagan-related anecdotes. When the procession drove by, people waved flags, there were tears, some people sang "God Bless America." I dont think we will ever see another President to his equal....at least in our lifetime. Clinton was impactful, effective, and popular, but extremely divisive. Reagan was and remains iconic of an era when the US came of age as the sole global superpower.

I am glad I am old enough to remember The Great Communicator.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Some would argue for JFK. Some would argue for Bill Clinton.

I don't hear too many bitter complaints against Bill Clinton by conservatives, other than that he lied about a blow job.

One thing I admired about Clinton, despite hating him, is that he was always timely in his messages. For example, after the China food and toy poisoning fiasco, Clinton would have announced brand new procedures, exec. order to strengthen testing etc. George Bush on the other hand takes no active public measure, and instead we hear about how his appointee is fighting new testing measures saying they are unneccessary. Only THIS week, do we hear a bit of news that Bush is doing something.

I think this is symptomatic of the Shrub presidency. The wrong fights. The wrong decisions. No pulse on America.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Some would argue for JFK. Some would argue for Bill Clinton.

I don't hear too many bitter complaints against Bill Clinton by conservatives, other than that he lied about a blow job.

One thing I admired about Clinton, despite hating him, is that he was always timely in his messages. For example, after the China food and toy poisoning fiasco, Clinton would have announced brand new procedures, exec. order to strengthen testing etc. George Bush on the other hand takes no active public measure, and instead we hear about how his appointee is fighting new testing measures saying they are unneccessary. Only THIS week, do we hear a bit of news that Bush is doing something.

I think this is symptomatic of the Shrub presidency. The wrong fights. The wrong decisions. No pulse on America.
Not sure where your parents' political loyalties lie, but if you actually talk to dems that were alive during the JFK era, many will tell you that he wasnt really that great of a President.

As a matter of fact, his legacy consists of a sniper to his dome, an allegedly hot wife who wore cool clothes, an affair with Marilyn, a botched Bay of Pigs invasion. You can give him the Cuban Missle Crisis, but even then, he needed U Thant to get everyone to the table and disarm.

Most of Kennedy's legacy is a romanticized memory of a Camelot that really never was. Politically, Kennedy accomplished very little as a President.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Reagan's competition is so weak, he wins in a landslide. Best president of the last 50 years.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, now we have to argue about who the worst President was. I think it's a dogfight between Shrub and Carter.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Carter and again, it's not even close. The only positive thing that can be said about Carter is that he didn't have enough time in office to let Russia invade our borders.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Ok, now we have to argue about who the worst President was. I think it's a dogfight between Shrub and Carter.
Wow, to me this is an open and shut case.

Only one of the two tortured the globe for 2 terms. At least Carter had the decency to be beaten in his bid for re-election.

W needed the Supreme Court to nudge him over the finish line--another iconic first amonst presidential pedigrees.

He has the lowest approval ratings of any president in the modern era of approval ratings.

His own party doesnt even like him.