cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road
Default Did you sign?

Our Petition to the Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The Constitution of the United States of America assures us that no person or group’s religious views are allowed to be binding on the public. It is vital that members of our society be able to express themselves according to the dictates of their own conscience and work to forestall enactment of laws and amendments that would reverse this capacity for any segment of the population.

Support of policies that seek to force the morality of our belief system on others who believe differently goes contrary to core doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as outlined in the Articles of Faith: “We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may,” and the Doctrine and Covenants: “We do not believe it just to mingle religious influence with civil government …” (Doctrine and Covenants 134:9). Our prophets, scriptures, and the history of our own people warn us of the destructive force that such actions can have. We are dismayed at the dilemma of choosing between our allegiance to leaders of the LDS Church and our own conscience on this matter.

We, the undersigned, have diverse views about the issue of same gender marriages but we stand united in the belief that each individual should have the civil right to marry the spouse of their choice and to have that union recognized by civil authorities. We affirm the LDS Church’s right to define doctrine and policy for its own members. However, we ask that the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints cease their political organizing efforts and financial support of attempts to use the government to restrict the secular and religious rights of gay and lesbian individuals and publicly retract their request that members of the LDS Church support such measures.

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

No.

Did you?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking to my brother last night, and he was saying the LDS church is so hypocritical given its history, etc.

So I say, "Is the Catholic Church hypocritical?"

He muttered something about the inquisition, but then he was stumped.

Sorry, I just can't help myself. I like poking holes.

I don't think I could sign that above statement, because I don't wholly agree with it. But yes, I do wish the church would have sat it out and let the members decide on this issue, just like they decide on a multitude of political issues, some with more overt moral implications, and some not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default So.........you firmly believe that the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was talking to my brother last night, and he was saying the LDS church is so hypocritical given its history, etc.

So I say, "Is the Catholic Church hypocritical?"

He muttered something about the inquisition, but then he was stumped.

Sorry, I just can't help myself. I like poking holes.

I don't think I could sign that above statement, because I don't wholly agree with it. But yes, I do wish the church would have sat it out and let the members decide on this issue, just like they decide on a multitude of political issues, some with more overt moral implications, and some not.
will not be forced to conduct gay marriage at the cost of losing their tax exempt status. You firmly believe that your kids will not be taught that gay marriage is as normal as hetero marriage in K-12?

Those a direct questions that only require a yes or no. No pontificating. Just your opinion.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
will not be forced to conduct gay marriage at the cost of losing their tax exempt status. You firmly believe that your kids will not be taught that gay marriage is as normal as hetero marriage in K-12?

Those a direct questions that only require a yes or no. No pontificating. Just your opinion.
are kids taught that masturbation is normal in schools?

it was taught in my schools.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
exUte

Default I knew you couldn't do it.

Quote:
are kids taught that masturbation is normal in schools?

it was taught in my schools.
Two simple questions and MW immediately goes to self stimulation. So self stimulation is comparable to sodomy? Interesting comparison.

Try it again one last time.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Schools occasionally teach things I don't fully agree with. I'm ok with that.

If I wasn't, I would be one of the home-schooling freaks.

I'm not.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm not.

You shouldnt' be so hard on homeshooling freaks. I know lots of them. I have even had them in my home for dinner. Have you? I'll bet you have never gone out of your way to invite a homeschooling freak into your house for dinner, have you? Have you ever even been to a home where schooling is going on? I bet you haven't done that either, have you? well, sir, until you can satisyf my little tests and prove your worthiness to discuss this issue, I refuse to acknowledge the basis for any opinion you might have against home schooling.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #9
exUte

Default You didn't address the Church

Quote:

I'm not.
having to perform gay marriage or lose their tax exempt status. Thoughts.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

worse, I have been babysitting homeschooling freaks for 2.5 years because the church asked me to.