cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marijuana is NOT a harmless substance

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a...+underestimate
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/marijuanap.html
http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/default.html
Old 11-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right about that. I don't think many would argue with you. It does not seem to be super harmful substance either. It is one that ought not to be used, but it is quite heavily used now.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The only people I've ever heard say that pot isn't harmful are habitual users.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The only people I've ever heard say that pot isn't harmful are habitual users.
That is true, but they can never seem to remember why.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm not an expert on this, and I've never used it. But from what I've seen it seems to kill ambition, and cause effectively a chemical labotomy. Maybe it's just habitual users I've known are unambitious and dull.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

The issue is not whether it is harmful, but whether people should have the freedom to engage in harmful activities. Everybody knows that tobacco and alcohol are harmful, but some people are willing to assume the risk. I like to ride motorcycles. I know it's dangerous, and I know I might die, but it's my choice and should continue to be my choice. I feel the same way about drugs.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
The issue is not whether it is harmful, but whether people should have the freedom to engage in harmful activities. Everybody knows that tobacco and alcohol are harmful, but some people are willing to assume the risk. I like to ride motorcycles. I know it's dangerous, and I know I might die, but it's my choice and should continue to be my choice. I feel the same way about drugs.
Which in turn would have drastic and further reaching consequences of drugs proliferating our society.

In other words that stance is telling DrugDealers, Gang Members, The perpetually poor neighborhoods and MANY other far reaching consequences...that you're telling them all......"Eat, Drink and Be Merry for tomorrow we die." and while you're at it..you can all go to hell.

I remember a leader once telling his troops...I trust you to do the right thing.....I'll bet you can guess what ended up happening when they were given reign to as they please....
Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

We don't permit all harmful activities, so which do we omit and which do we allow?

The fact that society has grown to accept two very harmful activities as socially acceptable doesn't translate that all similar activities should be lawful.

Blowing up pipe bombs is harmful, and it remains illegal, even if some might find them entertaining.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Which in turn would have drastic and further reaching consequences of drugs proliferating our society.

In other words that stance is telling DrugDealers, Gang Members, The perpetually poor neighborhoods and MANY other far reaching consequences...that you're telling them all......"Eat, Drink and Be Merry for tomorrow we die." and while you're at it..you can all go to hell.

I remember a leader once telling his troops...I trust you to do the right thing.....I'll bet you can guess what ended up happening when they were given reign to as they please....
The reason we have drug dealers and gang members selling drugs is because we have criminilized drug use. If drugs are legalized, they will be sold by pharmaceutical companies. Do you think the Crips are going to be able to compete with Merck and Phizer?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The reason we have drug dealers and gang members selling drugs is because we have criminilized drug use. If drugs are legalized, they will be sold by pharmaceutical companies. Do you think the Crips are going to be able to compete with Merck and Phizer?
It all depends on their tax treatment.

BTW, good point.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote