cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default God and BYU Football

1. Elder Eyring gave Bronco his vision for BYU football's intertwining of missions with the LDS church. Bronco didn't invent it himself. He came away from the interview with Elder Eyring a completely changed person.

2. Before that, Elder Ballard as head of missionary committee outlined the same vision to Rondo Fehlberg. Rondo repeated it frequently. It's a new age. People have big gates and don't trust door to door peddlers, we can't get into doors anymore and we have to get people familiar with our church and our message through other means. Converts need seven positive experiences with the church before they join. BYU FB can be one of those seven.

3. Millions of dollars of consecrated funds are pumped into BYU athletics every year by the church.

4. Successful, high profile programs in FB and BB are required to achieve the desired effect.

Who's on the Lord's side, Who?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

LOL. Nice, santos.

On semi-serious note, I think it's a mistake to say that God doesn't care about football. What, he clothes the lillies of the field, takes note of each fallen hair of our heads, and yet suspends all power for football? Heh, I don't think so.

It is correct to say God doesn't think of football or the rivalry the way WE think of it. God isn't interested in seeing a BYU win so he can rub it in a Ute's face. I don't think he cares about the score as a matter of bragging rights. And I don't think he is necessarily constantly intervening.

But to say he's not involved at all is inconsistent, in my view. Who knows what hidden blessings he intends by the way events pan out?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
1. Elder Eyring gave Bronco his vision for BYU football's intertwining of missions with the LDS church. Bronco didn't invent it himself. He came away from the interview with Elder Eyring a completely changed person.

2. Before that, Elder Ballard as head of missionary committee outlined the same vision to Rondo Fehlberg. Rondo repeated it frequently. It's a new age. People have big gates and don't trust door to door peddlers, we can't get into doors anymore and we have to get people familiar with our church and our message through other means. Converts need seven positive experiences with the church before they join. BYU FB can be one of those seven.

3. Millions of dollars of consecrated funds are pumped into BYU athletics every year by the church.

4. Successful, high profile programs in FB and BB are required to achieve the desired effect.

Who's on the Lord's side, Who?
As long as down deep all of them realize most people don't give a crap about losers, I don't mind all the high ideal speeches that go on. I heard at the last fireside Bronco said something like, we are building men and trying to win a few games along the way.

I am sure they all realize that without winning they won't get the chance to build those men, let alone speak to more than 5 people at a fireside.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote