cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Disagree on the JC take

floated on CB right now. BYU has had quite a few JC guys come in and immediately make a difference: Broadus, Keena, Haffa, Lemes, Hall, Lyday, Whiting, Woodberry. I believe all those guys started or contributed their first year at BYU on decent BYU teams. We wanted Batista one year, almost got him, but lost him to Gonzaga. Indy mocks Ron Selleaze, but he and the other guy that came with him were both ballers that would have contributed on any BYU team if they had their of-the-court matters handled. Our hit rate has been extraordinarily high on JC guys. Burgess is the rare example of a guy coming in with high JC accolades that didn't do much immediately.

I also believe that with players like Keena Young developing at different rates during their college year, it is definitely not unrealistic to believe Rose can find another decent player even this late in the recruiting game. Bottom line: if Rose signs two more JC's, I expect at least one of them to be either a starter or solid bench guy.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
floated on CB right now. BYU has had quite a few JC guys come in and immediately make a difference: Broadus, Keena, Haffa, Lemes, Hall, Lyday, Whiting, Woodberry. I believe all those guys started or contributed their first year at BYU on decent BYU teams. We wanted Batista one year, almost got him, but lost him to Gonzaga. Indy mocks Ron Selleaze, but he and the other guy that came with him were both ballers that would have contributed on any BYU team if they had their of-the-court matters handled. Our hit rate has been extraordinarily high on JC guys. Burgess is the rare example of a guy coming in with high JC accolades that didn't do much immediately.

I also believe that with players like Keena Young developing at different rates during their college year, it is definitely not unrealistic to believe Rose can find another decent player even this late in the recruiting game. Bottom line: if Rose signs two more JC's, I expect at least one of them to be either a starter or solid bench guy.
Mocked Ron Selleaze? Man, your reading comprehension is so brutally bad sometimes.

I mentioned Selleaze as an example of a JC guy that contributed right away. The point I was trying to make is that the JC signing period has long come and gone. To be counting on any new JC signings from the "leftovers" at this point is wishful thinking.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What we really need is a competent backup to Plaisted.

Vuk is very mediocre.

Even if it's just a strong, athletic tall dude who can block shots and rebound.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Mocked Ron Selleaze? Man, your reading comprehension is so brutally bad sometimes.

I mentioned Selleaze as an example of a JC guy that contributed right away. The point I was trying to make is that the JC signing period has long come and gone. To be counting on any new JC signings from the "leftovers" at this point is wishful thinking.
My bad. You had just made the comment that we shouldn't expect a JC to contribute right away and you went way back to find a pot smoker, skipping other more obvious choices, so I assumed you were just making a joke.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What we really need is a competent backup to Plaisted.

Vuk is very mediocre.

Even if it's just a strong, athletic tall dude who can block shots and rebound.
I wouldn't worry at all about a backup to Plaisted. You're talking 10 minutes a game or less--hopefully. If Miles redshirts, Vuk can handle that role. He did it adequately on a team better than next year's and he'll have one year's improvement. I'd go after guards or maybe a Keena-like 4.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
My bad. You had just made the comment that we shouldn't expect a JC to contribute right away and you went way back to find a pot smoker, skipping other more obvious choices, so I assumed you were just making a joke.
Oh, he flamed out, but not before being the leading scorer his only year at BYU.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

There's another JC signing period in April and BYU is hot on a number of solid prospects. To suggest the JC signing period has long come and gone is a factually incorrect statement.

One of them is 6'4 Swingman Kelvin Davis from Southern Idaho. Rose is going hard after him, as are a number of other schools.