cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default Church is "losing 40% of 16-24 year old members"

Attended a special Regional Singles Conference last weekend. The speaker (an Area Authority) made a surprising comment. He said that the Church is "very concerned" about the attrition rate of members in the 16-24 age group. According to recent statistics communicated by Elder Bateman, the Church is "losing" 40% if this age group. Losing is defined as either being inactive in their current ward/branch, or having moved and made no attempt to retrieve their membership records (i.e. Church has no idea of location). In Salt Lake and Utah counties alone, 57,000 young people fall into the "lost" category.

The Area Authority made a strong argument for strengthening the outreach and effectiveness of single/student wards and stakes. Apparently there is a proposal under consideration among the brethren to form more single/student stakes and eliminate the "one off" singles wards in regular stakes. Such single stakes would provide a stronger identity and more opportunities to serve. Having been a member of a student ward in a university stake and a singles ward treated like outcasts in a resident stake, I strongly support this proposal. The risks inherent in losing 40% of the youth demand something positive be done.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

This response is for conversation purposes.

That solves the socialization part of the problem. While they have them on a socialized setting, perhaps the message could become more appealing. I don't mean change the doctrine, but maybe they could go a little lighter on things such as white shirts, facial hair, etc.

16-24 years olds aren't in the obedience stage of life. They also aren't as succeptable to guilt trips as earlier generations.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

For the love of God leave them in peace. It's obvious why this is happening.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
That solves the socialization part of the problem. While they have them on a socialized setting, perhaps the message could become more appealing. I don't mean change the doctrine, but maybe they could go a little lighter on things such as white shirts, facial hair, etc.

16-24 years olds aren't in the obedience stage of life. They also aren't as succeptable to guilt trips as earlier generations.
I agree with your comments re; socialization; however, it goes deeper. Singles stakes foster more opportunities to serve in responsible positions and create a greater sense of purpose and identity - the positives greatly outweigh any negatives. It is sobering to think of the future implications of losing 40% of the next generation
Old 07-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
For the love of God leave them in peace. It's obvious why this is happening.
I am honestly interested in your comments re: "why".
Old 07-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Don't expect an honest reply.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They are more enlightened and should not be punished into remaining in the hellhole which is Mormondom, would be his likely response. He believes Mormondom tortured his soul, singling him out intentionally above all others.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Attended a special Regional Singles Conference last weekend. The speaker (an Area Authority) made a surprising comment. He said that the Church is "very concerned" about the attrition rate of members in the 16-24 age group. According to recent statistics communicated by Elder Bateman, the Church is "losing" 40% if this age group. Losing is defined as either being inactive in their current ward/branch, or having moved and made no attempt to retrieve their membership records (i.e. Church has no idea of location). In Salt Lake and Utah counties alone, 57,000 young people fall into the "lost" category.

The Area Authority made a strong argument for strengthening the outreach and effectiveness of single/student wards and stakes. Apparently there is a proposal under consideration among the brethren to form more single/student stakes and eliminate the "one off" singles wards in regular stakes. Such single stakes would provide a stronger identity and more opportunities to serve. Having been a member of a student ward in a university stake and a singles ward treated like outcasts in a resident stake, I strongly support this proposal. The risks inherent in losing 40% of the youth demand something positive be done.

Maybe we should raise the bar higher. 40% is too low for my tastes.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This has been the case for a while, sadly. I remember a similar statistic and push being issued about 10 years ago. It's a dangerous age to be losing people.

There are some interesting distinctions when it comes to singles units. They have their own section in the handbook. Interestingly, although there are allowances for singles wards, there is no provision for a singles stake--only "university" stakes. That is, there's not supposed to be singles stakes that exist independently of the university environment. Given the growing numbers of "older" singles (25-35) who aren't typically still in school, I imagine this might have to evolve.

I've been told that our current stake president is opposed to all singles organizations and will not permit a singles ward in his stake. I wonder how he'll take this news.

Quote:
I agree with your comments re; socialization; however, it goes deeper. Singles stakes foster more opportunities to serve in responsible positions and create a greater sense of purpose and identity - the positives greatly outweigh any negatives. It is sobering to think of the future implications of losing 40% of the next generation
This is the single most important function of a singles ward, IMO (some will say marriage, of course). The opportunities to serve in capacities (RS President, Ward Mission Leader, etc.) that they would never otherwise get is just invaluable.

Quote:
No, you aren't. Trust me.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I was inactive for quite a while about 5 years ago, and we moved a few times and never updated the church. We recieved letters from the church asking if we were so and so. With our names and birthdates. We were supposed to fill out hte form they sent us and send it back.