cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't make an effort to "control" my kids. I let kids be kids. Sometimes I even take a sadistic pleasure in watching old people freak out when my toddler tosses his cheerios at them. They grow out of it over time.

My parenting opinion: the more you "control" them at a young age the more problems you create for them at a later age.
You and I have opposite theories on parenting (at least as it regards children's behavior in church).

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 06-11-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: my second sentence didn't read correctly
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My parenting opinion: the more you "control" them at a young age the more problems you create for them at a later age.
Fascinating theory. Tell us more.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Fascinating theory. Tell us more.
Why do I feel like I'm being set up?

It's my wife's theory more than mine. We both came from extremely strict LDS famililies. She studied Child Development at BYU and was influenced there. I would probably be tougher on them at a younger age if left to my own doing. But she believes in almost no discipline under the age of 2 or 3. And then slowly adding on discipline starting about then, but much less than typical. That the concepts of being loved unconditionally are much more important than teaching discipline at that age. Our kids seem to become miraculously well behaved once they hit 4 or 5, so it seems to work for us. Knock on wood because we're just hitting the teenage years. And my theory is more that they come to you from heaven with their personalities and they're going to be who they are going to be no matter what you do to them.

P.S. I probably come across to much bragging in this post that I have the key to child raising. Far from the truth. I think I'm mostly lucky I just have good kids.

Last edited by jay santos; 06-11-2007 at 09:55 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It's my wife's theory more than mine. We both came from extremely strict LDS famililies. She studied Child Development at BYU and was influenced there. I would probably be tougher on them at a younger age if left to my own doing. But she believes in almost no discipline under the age of 2 or 3. And then slowly adding on discipline starting about then, but much less than typical. That the concepts of being loved unconditionally are much more important than teaching discipline at that age. Our kids seem to become miraculously well behaved once they hit 4 or 5, so it seems to work for us. Knock on wood because we're just hitting the teenage years. And my theory is more that they come to you from heaven with their personalities and they're going to be who they are going to be no matter what you do to them.
How many do you have?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
How many do you have?
Way too many.

Five.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
And somehow none of us were ever medicated. Hmm.
You mean what we see is natural?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Good luck with that

Quote:
I don't make an effort to "control" my kids. I let kids be kids. Sometimes I even take a sadistic pleasure in watching old people freak out when my toddler tosses his cheerios at them. They grow out of it over time.

Coming to an AA meeting near you.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

P.S. I probably come across to much bragging in this post that I have the key to child raising. Far from the truth. I think I'm mostly lucky I just have good kids.
Interesting. Can you give us some examples of this "almost no discipline" strategy? I mean, how far do you carry this?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

We're always in the back of the chapel as it was a quicker escape with our kids when they were toddlers.

Now that our youngest is 4, I've decided that the back is a quicker escape during a particularly boring Sacrament meeting.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #20
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I know a family with the let kids act like kids policy. The kids are out of freaking control.

One evening I was talking to this guy in his driveway. His three year old kid had a wiffle ball bat and hit me with it on the leg. The dad didn't say a thing. Second time, nothing. Finally, on the third time, I told the kid, "will you stop that"? Again, the dad didn't say a word. Then the kid tried to hit me again. I grabbed the bat mid swing, yanked it away and chucked it across the yard. Again, nothing from the dad. I was floored.

An extreme example, and I'm not saying Santos would do this, or his kids would even act this way, but there's limits to the hands-off method, IMO.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote