cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
How do you guys prep your squash and zuccini? I usually cut it in lengthwise strips, soak it in olive oil, garlic, salt and whatever herbs I have laying around, then toss it on the grill for a few minutes on each side.
I do the same thing except instead of the grill, I drop them in the frying pan with some olive oil. When they're done I spritz them with some Italian dressing and top with a bit of parmesan cheese.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I do the same thing except instead of the grill, I drop them in the frying pan with some olive oil. When they're done I spritz them with some Italian dressing and top with a bit of parmesan cheese.
Very nice. I'll give that a go tommorow.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #13
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How do you guys prep your squash and zuccini? I usually cut it in lengthwise strips, soak it in olive oil, garlic, salt and whatever herbs I have laying around, then toss it on the grill for a few minutes on each side. It's also good with marinated in or brushed with balsamic vinegar.
This is basically what my wife (cooking IS women's work, after all), except that she throws it under the broiler for a few minutes instead of the grill (which I have yet to replace since the move--no one's helping me out despite repeated requests for advice...).
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #14
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How do you guys prep your squash and zuccini? I usually cut it in lengthwise strips, soak it in olive oil, garlic, salt and whatever herbs I have laying around, then toss it on the grill for a few minutes on each side. It's also good with marinated in or brushed with balsamic vinegar.
Last night I sliced up a couple squash and zucchini. the wife threw in the frying pan with some onions and olive oil and made quite the tasty treat.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In an attempt to avoid the extra fat ,i simply peel a summer squash and grate it into a bowl of yogurt ,then add a little salt .its a healthy cold companion for the main food .I also chop peeled summer squash and invite them to a salad party where cucumbers ,tomatos and onions are already there .Then i add ,salt ,black pepper ,one table spoon olive oil (optional) and two table spoons sour grapes juice .Done.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
In an attempt to avoid the extra fat ,i simply peel a summer squash and grate it into a bowl of yogurt ,then add a little salt .its a healthy cold companion for the main food .I also chop peeled summer squash and invite them to a salad party where cucumbers ,tomatos and onions are already there .Then i add ,salt ,black pepper ,one table spoon olive oil (optional) and two table spoons sour grapes juice .Done.
Mindful, I've always been taught that the peel is where the vast majority of the nutrients are in a summer squash. I never peel them.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Mindful, I've always been taught that the peel is where the vast majority of the nutrients are in a summer squash. I never peel them.
Along with the fact that most nutrients govern in the peel ,summertime always brings concern over the fresh vegetables and fruits safety.Having been warned of not using ,vegetables-based laundry detergent frequently ,you have got to be a little more circumspective about the whole washing process.Specially if they are going to have a destiny of being eaten fresh .Hence peeling .