cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 10-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Powell's rationale - "...ability to inspire..."

People bag on Obama's talent for rhetoric, but the nation needs a leader who can inspire.

I would think those on the other side of the fence would feel a bit more comfortable with a voice like Powell in an Obama cabinet.

Powell for Sec of State - that's my call.

Last edited by Ma'ake; 10-19-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
People bag on Obama's talent for rhetoric, but the nation needs a leader who can inspire.

I would think those on the other side of the fence would feel a bit more comfortable with a voice like Powell in an Obama cabinet.

Yeah the man inspires me to go take a shit.

Give the guy 4 years and if any of his great inspired ideas get put thru that will be all, America cannot afford Obahma.

Hopefully average joe plumber american is smart enough to realize that the media is declaring obahma the winner so they won't actually go cast a vote, heaven help us if obahma is president.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Yeah the man inspires me to go take a shit.
See- that is fantastic! The man inspires you to be full of less crap than you were a minute ago. That truly is transformational!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Quote:

This is a big get for Obama. I have always been an admirer of Powell; in fact, I would have voted for him if he ran in 2000 or 2004 (but alas...). I am a bit disappointed in his silence on his disagreement with the Iraq war. He clearly was not on board with what the administration was doing, and clearly felt like the administration was being deceptive and tunnel-visioned, but he still went before the UN and still helped bang the drum for war. It was his job, but I think his duty was greater than his job, and I feel he neglected his duty. That said, he remains a remarkable man with remarkable accomplishments, and I could be open to the idea of him serving in a capacity like Secretary of State (though I don't think he wants it).
Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default C'mon, you believe that?

Quote:

He's supporting Oh..blah..blah..blah..blah..bama because he wants to see an African American make history. He's even said that would be great. Forget all the other reasons he is spewing in public.

Inspire with more entitlements and taxes and weaker defense? What kind of inspiration is that?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
He's supporting Oh..blah..blah..blah..blah..bama because he wants to see an African American make history. He's even said that would be great. Forget all the other reasons he is spewing in public.

Inspire with more entitlements and taxes and weaker defense? What kind of inspiration is that?
And you support McCain because he is white. Right? I mean, let's be consistent here.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
And you support McCain because he is white. Right? I mean, let's be consistent here.
But then I would support Michael Steele .... but not because he's black.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
See- that is fantastic! The man inspires you to be full of less crap than you were a minute ago. That truly is transformational!
10 points to Cali!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He clearly was not on board with what the administration was doing, and clearly felt like the administration was being deceptive and tunnel-visioned, but he still went before the UN and still helped bang the drum for war.
I can see why you are having a tough time resolving this. On the one hand, he is a moderate who is a big get for Obama. On the other hand, if you are part of the "Bush lied" crowd there are only two choices: Powell is a liar himself or Powell is willing to lie for others. If he thought they were being deceptive and passed on that message lending his name and gravitas to the lie then he is utterly without honor. He should have resigned.

I think all he is guilty of is the same poor judgment and lack of foresight that the administration is guilty of. But from the viewpoint of the typical Obama supporter some real mental gymnastics are required to forgive him for the sins of the Bush administration.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I can see why you are having a tough time resolving this. On the one hand, he is a moderate who is a big get for Obama. On the other hand, if you are part of the "Bush lied" crowd there are only two choices: Powell is a liar himself or Powell is willing to lie for others. If he thought they were being deceptive and passed on that message lending his name and gravitas to the lie then he is utterly without honor. He should have resigned.

I think all he is guilty of is the same poor judgment and lack of foresight that the administration is guilty of. But from the viewpoint of the typical Obama supporter some real mental gymnastics are required to forgive him for the sins of the Bush administration.
More or less. Some of the strongest evidence that Bush was deceptive about our intelligence comes from Powell and the State Department. It is hard for me to accept, given all we know, that Powell shouldn't have resigned (a "noisy withdrawal"), or gone to Congress with his dissent. I have a hard time getting past it. It is a blemish on an otherwise stellar record of public service.