cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a "starter bike" (used)

Hey all...it's been a while since I've been on here.

Have a friend who has a daughter getting in to cycling. They are looking for a road bike, to fit her (she is 5'8").

Anyone have a woman's bike they are looking to get rid of, or know of that would fit a person her size?

Lives in Utah, so local to Wasatch Valley.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post

Have a friend who has a daughter getting in to cycling. They are looking for a road bike, to fit her (she is 5'8").

Anyone have a woman's bike they are looking to get rid of, or know of that would fit a person her size?

Thanks in advance.
Hey, Borgman,

Unfortunately 5'8" doesn't mean much. There's no telling what that means for her bike size. I'm 5'5" but I ride a size more common among women several inches shorter, because all my height is in my legs. You'll have to get her sized and then ask around to see if anyone is selling her size. Even then it won't be an ideal fit, but she should be able to adjust it pretty close.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post

Thanks in advance.
I don't but ask at your local shops, most of those guys will know. I'd say 54 would fit her. A used Trek or Giant might do the trick. What are you looking to pay in case I ask my friends?

Last edited by Archaea; 11-22-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Babs is correct. Height is only one factor that goes into bike fit. Colorado cyclist has a formula on their website to determine correct frame size based on a couple of measurements to be taken.

I would venture to guess that a 53 or 54 would fit her fairly well. Giant doesn't use number sizing, but their Small or Medium sized frame would be what she is after. She's a tweener at 5'8", so it would defintely be a good idea to at least take one out for a spin before committing to anything.

As to your other question - no idea where to get one. I'm 800 miles away. Try Craigs list (after figuring the right size first, of course).
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Of course, you and Babs are correct, but remember this is a starter, cheapo bike so the level of precision will not be realized that one might achieve with more expensive setups.
Do you always have to be right?

If a "cheapo" bike offers fewer opportunities for adjustment, isn't that all the more reason to at least get the right size to begin with?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Do you always have to be right?

If a "cheapo" bike offers fewer opportunities for adjustment, isn't that all the more reason to at least get the right size to begin with?
I understand your point. But adjustment is more determined by stem, seat post, fork, seat, which make a better fit possible.

But unfortunately with a cheap bike, "the right fit" is often unavailable. Frame makers for reasons of not wanting too many molds like fewer sizes and hope people will pay for the other parts.

Fortunately, most frames are not monocoque but rather tubular so some adjustment is possible. I'm really saying it's unreasonable to expect a cheaper bike to fit well. I don't have to be right, but in bike fitting, it is an area where I have a wee bit of exposure.

Perhaps I see a distinction without a difference, but my effort to articulate it.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I understand your point. But adjustment is more determined by stem, seat post, fork, seat, which make a better fit possible.

But unfortunately with a cheap bike, "the right fit" is often unavailable. Frame makers for reasons of not wanting too many molds like fewer sizes and hope people will pay for the other parts.

Fortunately, most frames are not monocoque but rather tubular so some adjustment is possible. I'm really saying it's unreasonable to expect a cheaper bike to fit well. I don't have to be right, but in bike fitting, it is an area where I have a wee bit of exposure.

Perhaps I see a distinction without a difference, but my effort to articulate it.
Translation: the ideal fit being unavailable, any size will do.

You are too funny.