cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default pie

Talk to me about your Thanksgiving desserts. I'm channeling my inner pastry chef this week (which is not difficult, as I channel her often) and planning desserts for Thursday. The dinner where I will be will include 8 adults and a few children.

Do you like pie only or other kids of desserts? How many kinds do you like to eat? If you have several choices, do you end up with a little of each, or do you stick with just one?

And don't tell me you are too full to care. That kind of attitude cannot be condoned.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I will eat all kinds of pie.

I like apple, cherry, rhubarb, rhubarb/strawberry, pecan.

Not as big a fan of mincemeat.

Bored with pumpkin pie.

Lime and Lemon pies don't seem to go well with Thanksgiving fare. Chocolate, banana pudding, coconut also a bad choice.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I will eat all kinds of pie.

I like apple, cherry, rhubarb, rhubarb/strawberry, pecan.

Not as big a fan of mincemeat.

Bored with pumpkin pie.

Lime and Lemon pies don't seem to go well with Thanksgiving fare. Chocolate, banana pudding, coconut also a bad choice.
It's a good thing we are not having Thanksgiving together, because you've got the pie thing all wrong.

I am not a big fan of pastry crusts. I always make a dark chocolate mousse pie with an oreo cookie crust. (I think I may have made this for you and Farrah once.) I also like to make a coconut cream pie. I make the crust with vanilla cookies, pecans and coconut. I make coconut pudding from scratch--none of this Jell-O pudding crap. And of course I put real whipped cream and toasted coconut on the top.

I also really like pumpkin pie, but I mostly dig out the pumpkin and leave the crust. Farrah makes a mean key lime, too. Mmmm.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
It's a good thing we are not having Thanksgiving together, because you've got the pie thing all wrong.

I am not a big fan of pastry crusts. I always make a dark chocolate mousse pie with an oreo cookie crust. (I think I may have made this for you and Farrah once.) I also like to make a coconut cream pie. I make the crust with vanilla cookies, pecans and coconut. I make coconut pudding from scratch--none of this Jell-O pudding crap. And of course I put real whipped cream and toasted coconut on the top.

I also really like pumpkin pie, but I mostly dig out the pumpkin and leave the crust. Farrah makes a mean key lime, too. Mmmm.
I'm sorry, but you also think making out with Danimal is a good time.

Disgusting!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Pumpkin pie is --at the very least-- a nod to tradition. Plus, I quite like it. I make a great pumpkin pie, and whoever passes over it because it's boring--that's more for me later.

I think there should be chocolate. I find that chocolate is a favorite of many, many people (if not me). I was thinking of doing a flourless choc cake and a black bottom peanut butter mousse pie, which also has chocolate.

I'm going to do something apple, but it won't be a typical apple pie. Maybe a tart, and probably with frangipane or something.

That's four kinds already. . . but I need something fruity. Lemon or berries, or both. Blueberry might be nice.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm sorry, but you also think making out with Danimal is a good time.

Disgusting!
Don't knock it until you've tried it!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Any and all pies are appropriate not only for Thanksgiving, but for any of the other 364 days each year. (And yes, I refuse to recognize Feb. 29th as a day.)

My favorite is lemon meringue... that is, my mom's lemon meringue.

As for how much pie there should be, my rule is that the gross weight of the pies should equal the gross weight of the rest of the Thanksgiving meal.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Marupial's chocolate mousse pie is sooo good. But to quote Mars. herself, how can you go wrong with chocolate and cream?

I think the flourless choc cake that RHG mentioned also sounds wonderful. I made one for my sister's birthday this year for the first time, and it was surprisingly easy and delicious. I also love lemony desserts, so I might make a lemon curd tart with berries.

Or for something completely different, you could do cream puffs with different flavors of choux cream.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

on the first read, I thought "flourless" was a French word.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I'm very strict when it comes to pie. I only ever eat apple pie.

Flash won't eat any pie. He only likes carrot cake. Whoever heard of a carrot cake at Thanksgiving?

The kids won't eat pie. The one likes cookies and the other likes cheesecake.

So by the time everybody's staisfied with the selections, our family of four ends up with enough dessert for thirty people.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote