cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat

Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Ideally there would be someone here to take this guy aside and say "Don't listen to Mike." But those are long ago days.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
The Psych Guy

The Psych Guy is on a distinguished road

I believe BYU has at least 20 or so PhD programs. I have a buddy getting one in biochemistry, and I know a couple of individuals getting them in neuroscience. It seems like there is more of a push toward graduate training these days.
The Psych Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Psych Guy View Post
Don't usually do this kind of stuff but if you have an extra few minutes I could use some help on a research project. Please check out the site below if you are a student over the age of 18. It takes about 10 minutes and you could get $50.00.

Thanks

www.surveymonkey.com/s/BYUPSYCHSURVEY
WHo's your faculty mentor at byu?
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #14
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I believe BYU has at least 20 or so PhD programs. I have a buddy getting one in biochemistry, and I know a couple of individuals getting them in neuroscience. It seems like there is more of a push toward graduate training these days.
I had heard from a PDBio major (now a nursing student at Georgetown) that BYU's MS neuro grads have trouble getting into PhD programs and its PhD students have difficulty finding jobs.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
The Psych Guy

The Psych Guy is on a distinguished road

I can't speak to other PhD's, but I am being recruited for Jobs and have 2 job offers and I have not even gone on internship yet. As I have been going on internship interviews, I feel like I am competing well with those that come from the top schools in the country. There is a good reputation for our program and we do have a couple of psychology legends on the faculty that give our program some clout.
The Psych Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I can't speak to other PhD's, but I am being recruited for Jobs and have 2 job offers and I have not even gone on internship yet. As I have been going on internship interviews, I feel like I am competing well with those that come from the top schools in the country. There is a good reputation for our program and we do have a couple of psychology legends on the faculty that give our program some clout.
Who?

I didn't know BYU had any notable faculty outside of the MBA or Engineering Departments.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Who?

I didn't know BYU had any notable faculty outside of the MBA or Engineering Departments.
There are several psychology staff who have national reputations. Mike Lambert is easily one of the top psychotherapy researchers.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I had heard from a PDBio major (now a nursing student at Georgetown) that BYU's MS neuro grads have trouble getting into PhD programs and its PhD students have difficulty finding jobs.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
As far as the MS students, if true, it is probably a function of the students, and not the school. Because certainly BYU students with BS are able to get into top PhD programs directly.

What you have heard about PhD students in the biological sciences sounds totally believable to me. When I was at BYU, most of the biology faculty would not have been competitive for jobs at major universities.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
As far as the MS students, if true, it is probably a function of the students, and not the school. Because certainly BYU students with BS are able to get into top PhD programs directly.

What you have heard about PhD students in the biological sciences sounds totally believable to me. When I was at BYU, most of the biology faculty would not have been competitive for jobs at major universities.
Why is that? The departments I studied under did not exhibit this pattern.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Lack of high-impact research publications. Lack of grants and history of obtaining grants. To some degree, the kind of science professors you would have at a liberal arts college that doesn't have graduate programs. How can you run wet-labs and not have a meaningful graduate program? End of story.

However, I believe things are trending towards better research, more graduate students, better-qualified young faculty.

When BYU was rapidly expanding back in the day (1970s?), they hired a lot of suspect faculty who ended up with tenure. Those guys are dying off.