cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 11-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why I stopped reading the New York Times

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...-honestly.html

I just got tired of liberal advocacy pieces disguised as hard news.

By far "The Times" has the best resources, the most breadth, the best talent. But there is so much groupthink that it's just ridiculous.

It's basically the liberal equivalent of something like ldsliving.com. Or the Ensign.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I dumped it. Multiply that by a lot of people and maybe they are starting to receive the message.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...-honestly.html

I just got tired of liberal advocacy pieces disguised as hard news.

By far "The Times" has the best resources, the most breadth, the best talent. But there is so much groupthink that it's just ridiculous.

It's basically the liberal equivalent of something like ldsliving.com. Or the Ensign.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I dumped it. Multiply that by a lot of people and maybe they are starting to receive the message.
I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. I don't agree that means you should dump it. I think the best resources and writing is a reason to stay, and I'd say it has more a bias for coastal elite perspectives than "liberal" per se; is the nonsense that Sanders and Trump purveyed pandering to white working class liberal or conservative? The New York Times has done its best to address their irresponsible populism. Also, despite the bias, I think there's plenty of times it is correct. What else are you going to read? Everything seems to be siloed these days.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
SeattleUte

What I hate worse than the bias is all the stupid human interest stories that didn't used to be part of the Times.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. I don't agree that means you should dump it. I think the best resources and writing is a reason to stay, and I'd say it has more a bias for coastal elite perspectives than "liberal" per se; is the nonsense that Sanders and Trump purveyed pandering to white working class liberal or conservative? The New York Times has done its best to address their irresponsible populism. Also, despite the bias, I think there's plenty of times it is correct. What else are you going to read? Everything seems to be siloed these days.
I read it but I won't subscribe to it any longer due to its incessant pandering the East Coast Elitism. The travel and art section are worth reading, and if one wants to immerse oneself in the East Coast Elitism perspective, it is good immersion therapy.

I much prefer the WSJ, because the WSJ couples its analysis with good hard financial and economic analysis, usually absent from the NYT, unless Paul Krugman wants to weigh about the illiquidity trap and why neo-Keynesian economics is the panacea for all that ails us. I never understood why Krugman ventured outside of his wheelhouse of New Geography Theory and Diversity of Brands into fiscal policy analysis.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I read it but I won't subscribe to it any longer due to its incessant pandering the East Coast Elitism. The travel and art section are worth reading, and if one wants to immerse oneself in the East Coast Elitism perspective, it is good immersion therapy.

I much prefer the WSJ, because the WSJ couples its analysis with good hard financial and economic analysis, usually absent from the NYT, unless Paul Krugman wants to weigh about the illiquidity trap and why neo-Keynesian economics is the panacea for all that ails us. I never understood why Krugman ventured outside of his wheelhouse of New Geography Theory and Diversity of Brands into fiscal policy analysis.
The WSJ may be good therapy these days. It's probably not hysterical about the election.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The WSJ may be good therapy these days. It's probably not hysterical about the election.
It has its typical good discussion on markets, monetary and fiscal policy. Its political discussion is practical and not hysterical, and would be foreign to readers of the NYT.

I also enjoy the Financial Times.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I have to admit that I really hate the gun control pandering articles. That's why I quit the New Yorker. Those articles are often dishonest and inaccurate, don't tell the other side of the story. And come from such a condescending place that it's frankly intolerable. I used to subscribe to the New Yorker. But they are not as good as they used to be. They are becoming another vanity outlet for coastal elites to preach to the rest of us. No thanks. Bye.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
I have to admit that I really hate the gun control pandering articles. That's why I quit the New Yorker. Those articles are often dishonest and inaccurate, don't tell the other side of the story. And come from such a condescending place that it's frankly intolerable. I used to subscribe to the New Yorker. But they are not as good as they used to be. They are becoming another vanity outlet for coastal elites to preach to the rest of us. No thanks. Bye.
Control advocates are almost universally condescending and ill-informed, at least about that issue. They can only cite to you the number of gun-related deaths without understanding the milieu or understanding liberty based arguments.

It is difficult to find reasonable intellectual discussion on any site where both sides are represented.

You should try visiting New York where Second Amendment liberties are severely limited thanks to the SAFE Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_SAFE_Act
Old 11-17-2016, 01:54 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No thanks, not really interested in that.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
I think gun control is like trade barriers, building the wall. Populist solutions to complicated problems that won't solve anything. I agree that even for someone like me who doesn't own guns and is waiting to be convinced that banning or more controls on guns would eliminate a lot of violent deaths, the politicizing and pandering is a turn off.

Generally, I'm for less control. I think like raising kids, you have to teach self-reliance and personal responsibility. Stop the war on drugs, and use the cost savings to finance decent shelter and controlled drugs and clean needles for homeless, who are mostly addicts, and treatment if they want it. We don't solve anything by over regulating or over-policing. Society creates a lot of expense and problems every time it passes a law making some human activity illegal. We need less of that. The over incarceration of young men, particularly black men, for drug offenses is a national scandal and disgrace.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-17-2016 at 05:27 AM.