cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default isn't owning a home great?

yesterday, I pulled a pair of jeans out of my top shelf in the closet. They were damp. I thought that was strange. They were more than damp. They were wet. then I realized all the surrounding clothes were damp. There was no obvious sign of a water leak.

Closer examination revealed water had been dripping down the wall. Coincidentally the air conditioner is directly above my closet.

Nothing I love more than crawling thru an insulation filled attic. Ultimately I gave up and had to get a professional in.

Now I'm wondering if I need to rip out the drywall.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh, the joys of homeownership! Good luck with that, hope you don't need new drywall.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Fun for you Mike...last week, I had some flooding in my basement bathroom and hallway--the secondary line was blocked (water from the laundry room, sinks, etc.) and clogged and it backed up thru the shower drain in my basement. Got it fixed, but it was a pain. Yeah, gotta love owning a home.

I miss the days that I could call my landlord and have him make everything alright.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

so I called a neighbor who is on a mission in Nauvoo. He had gone to air condition school recently, and he called a guy. This guy came over today.

He went into the attic, used pressurized air to blow out the drain. Returned two hours later to check on it, noted that it was tilting. Went to the store, bought a support to lift the apparatus, installed another drain pan.

Asked for the outrageous sum of $30 for his efforts. DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT CHILDREN IN AFRICA WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR PENNIES?!

So Farrah insisted on paying him a bit more.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
so I called a neighbor who is on a mission in Nauvoo. He had gone to air condition school recently, and he called a guy. This guy came over today.

He went into the attic, used pressurized air to blow out the drain. Returned two hours later to check on it, noted that it was tilting. Went to the store, bought a support to lift the apparatus, installed another drain pan.

Asked for the outrageous sum of $30 for his efforts. DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT CHILDREN IN AFRICA WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR PENNIES?!

So Farrah insisted on paying him a bit more.
Poor you. I dropped $3400 last week on A/C repairs.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

for a regular commercial service to come out and do what he did, would be at least $200 I would guess.

I'm expecting our AC unit to die about 1 month before we sell our house.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice guy...since he knew we were members of the church, and were friends of a friend, I think he tried to give us a discount.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

He gave you a deal. And I would probably replace the drywall. Mold can accumulate and is a bitch to get rid of.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote