cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 04:27 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
No doubt, getting dominated 50% of the times they played each other, and the only time they faced each other man on man ain't exactly the bright and shining light in EW's Ute career.

EW was too concerned, as were most Utes, about shutting up Curtis Brown to just play football. Whit's fascination with Brown is a huge reason Utah lost that game.
Agreed about Whit's trying to focus too much on Brown. Still, it took a helluva miraculaous finish for the Y to get that win.

Harline was in a no win situation on that play. If Weddle makes the play, he makes Johnnie look foolish. But because he made the catch, big deal. He's a half foot taller than Eric and should have outjumped him, ya know?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #22
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Agreed about Whit's trying to focus too much on Brown. Still, it took a helluva miraculaous finish for the Y to get that win.

Harline was in a no win situation on that play. If Weddle makes the play, he makes Johnnie look foolish. But because he made the catch, big deal. He's a half foot taller than Eric and should have outjumped him, ya know?
Wait, so if Weddle makes the play, he makes Harline look foolish. Why is that? Isn't Weddle the best CB the MWC has ever seen? I'd think Weddle making the play should be expected. I think you have it in reverse.

Harline, undrafted run-of-the-mill TE, making the catch over the NFL-bound, incredible CB who kept his team in games all season long single-handedly, makes Weddle look foolish.

Weddle swatting the ball away is expected in that one-on-one situation.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #23
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I should have been more clear. Weddle was 3-1 against the Y but according to Goatnapper, he was just 1-1 against Harline. Did Harline only play two years in Provo? I had no idearrrrr.
2 years and a handful of plays on Special Teams in 2004...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
2 years and a handful of plays on Special Teams in 2004...
Thanks for that info.

Harline was a heckuva TE. I certainly won't miss him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #25
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:

I believe Harline was very much in a winable situation on that play.

In fact, I think he pretty much won on that play.

In fact, I think he made Weddle look like he wasn't worthy of hoisting his jock-strap on that play.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I believe Harline was very much in a winable situation on that play.

In fact, I think he pretty much won on that play.

In fact, I think he made Weddle look like he wasn't worthy of hoisting his jock-strap on that play.
On that play, yes. On the last play of the game, he did it to the entire Ute team.

Like I said, I won't miss him.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #27
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On that play, yes. On the last play of the game, he did it to the entire Ute team.

Like I said, I won't miss him.
I think it is safe to say that BYU fans feel the same way about Weddle.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #28
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Well, if Weddle had been around for the last play, maybe he could have burned him then, too. Weddle decided it would be a lot more fun to play on the opposite side of the field that particular down.
He can't cover the entire field. If he had been on the left side instead, Beck would have thrown to the right.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:39 AM   #29
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I love Eric Weddle. He's one Ute player that no matter how hard I'd try, it's pretty much impossible for me to hate the guy.

However Yewt "fans" fail to see the irony of saying..."Well it's not Weddle's fault Utah's defense sucked,,,,I mean we tried, but the guy can't play every position on the field."

The irony is this: It wasn't really Beck's fault that BYU struggled during his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years. In fact when this excuse was used...that Beck can't play every position and that the guy doesn't play defense...Yewt "fans" would freak out saying that was a lame excuse....but yet they've NO problem using the same excuse when it comes to why...even with Eric Weddle that their defense sucked hind titty last season and when Ratliff would go on one of his inaccuracy binges missing wide open receivers left and right and that Utah didn't have a good running game or running back they could rely on.

That's okay..these are the same Yewt "fans" calling Vakapuna overated and that Asiata is leaps and bounds better,,,, in spite of Fui scoring 11 touchdowns playing in roughly 6 games after just being home from his mission.

It is true..irrational thought processes abound on both sides.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-19-2007 at 03:41 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #30
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I love Eric Weddle. He's one Ute player that no matter how hard I'd try, it's pretty much impossible for me to hate the guy.

However Yewt "fans" fail to see the irony of saying..."Well it's not Weddle's fault Utah's defense sucked,,,,I mean we tried, but the guy can't play every position on the field."

The irony is this: It wasn't really Beck's fault that BYU struggled during his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years. In fact when this excuse was used...that Beck can't play every position and that the guy doesn't play defense...Yewt "fans" would freak out saying that was a lame excuse....but yet they've NO problem using the same excuse when it comes to why...even with Eric Weddle that their defense sucked hind titty last season and when Ratliff would go on one of his inaccuracy binges missing wide open receivers left and right and that Utah didn't have a good running game or running back they could rely on.

That's okay..these are the same Yewt "fans" calling Vakapuna overated and that Asiata is leaps and bounds better,,,, in spite of Fui scoring 11 touchdowns playing in roughly 6 games after just being home from his mission.

It is true..irrational thought processes abound on both sides.
You do have a point, but the quarterback is much more important to the functioning of the offense than is a safety to the functioning of the defense as a whole, methinks.

And no, Weddle obviously can't guard the whole field by himself. All 9 of the Ute players who dropped back in coverage couldn't cover more than one side of the field, after all.