cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Halibut Recipes

Anyone have any good halibut recipes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Anyone have any good halibut recipes?

Thanks in advance.
This is great for any good filet of whiting. Get one of those straw Asian steamers. Put a plate in the bottom of it, lay the fish filet on the plate inside the steamer, and put the whole apparatus in a wide flat pan of boiling water. Cover the steamer and steam the fillet until the meat flakes off. Meanwhile, slice up several cloves of garlic thin as you can get them (the more cloves the better, there's no limit), and start a fry pan with a veneer of a blend of canola or vegetable oil and sesame oil heating. When the oil mixture is just starting to bubble french fry the galic; you can also add grated ginger and sesame seeds, but be careful not to burn anything. Take the steamed fish filet and put it on a fresh plate; it will expel some fish broth and you should leave the fillet swimming in the puddle of broth. Now immediately pour the entire hot oil/garlic mixture over the top of the filet, add some dashes of soy sauce, and garnish on top with shredded green onions. Serve with steamed rice.

This is the only dish I know if that if executed correctly can be prepared on an ordinary stove in a regular house and match the best such dishes in a Chinese restaurant. And it's very easy to pull off. Easier than it sounds. Try it sometime with Black Cod or Chilean Sea Bass, in my view both superior to Halibut.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
This is great for any good filet of whiting. Get one of those straw Asian steamers. Put a plate in the bottom of it, lay the fish filet on the plate inside the steamer, and put the whole apparatus in a wide flat pan of boiling water. Cover the steamer and steam the fillet until the meat flakes off. Meanwhile, slice up several cloves of garlic thin as you can get them (the more cloves the better, there's no limit), and start a fry pan with a veneer of a blend of canola or vegetable oil and sesame oil heating. When the oil mixture is just starting to bubble french fry the galic; you can also add grated ginger and sesame seeds, but be careful not to burn anything. Take the steamed fish filet and put it on a fresh plate; it will expel some fish broth and you should leave the fillet swimming in the puddle of broth. Now immediately pour the entire hot oil/garlic mixture over the top of the filet, add some dashes of soy sauce, and garnish on top with shredded green onions. Serve with steamed rice.
Sounds great! Now I just need to track down one of those straw Asian steamers. There are several cooking stores around town I can try.

Quote:
This is the only dish I know if that if executed correctly can be prepared on an ordinary stove in a regular house and match the best such dishes in a Chinese restaurant. And it's very easy to pull off. Easier than it sounds. Try it sometime with Black Cod or Chilean Sea Bass, in my view both superior to Halibut.
Could be, but I happen to have a freezer full of halibut (and salmon).
Old 08-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Send some fish my way.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Sounds great! Now I just need to track down one of those straw Asian steamers. There are several cooking stores around town I can try.

Halibut is a terrific fish, needless to say.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You might have better luck at the Asian food store for the steamer.

Seattle Ute's recipe does sound really good. If you can't find a steamer, you can bake it, wrapping it in parchment paper (found in grocery stores), or foil, I suppose.

Here's the topping.
1-inch cube fresh gingerroot, finely chopped or grated
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped or grated
2 green onions (green part only), finely chopped
Fresh chile to taste
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 tbsp grapeseed (or safflower) oil
Dash of toasted sesame oil
Dash of soy sauce
Dash of fish sauce
4 tsp dark maple syrup

Top the fillets, wrap it in parchment paper, and bake at 400 degrees, 25 minutes.

Also, this recipe is supposed to be for bass or tilapia, but I don't see why halibut wouldn't work. It's the easiest dish to make.

Pan-seared Tilapia with Chili-lime butter

Sprinkle w/ salt, then sear the fish fillets, top with chili-lime butter
For chile lime butter
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon minced fresh Thai or serrano chile (preferably red), including seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters

Seattle Ute's recipe does sound really good. If you can't find a steamer, you can bake it, wrapping it in parchment paper (found in grocery stores), or foil, I suppose.

Here's the topping.
Fresh chile to taste
Dash of soy sauce
Dash of fish sauce
4 tsp dark maple syrup

Top the fillets, wrap it in parchment paper, and bake at 400 degrees, 25 minutes.

Also, this recipe is supposed to be for bass or tilapia, but I don't see why halibut wouldn't work. It's the easiest dish to make.

For chile lime butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
Wow. I need to try these, especially the first one. I love fusion. My favorite way to eat tuna sashimi is tartar style, infused with olive and sesame oils, unleavened bread or wafers of some sort, and a variety of far eastern and mediterranean garnishes.

On my recipe, don't be afraid to use plenty of the oils, depending on how much garlic and fish your dealing with. It's good for you and the oil will melt away amid the fish meat and broth, just infusing it with richness and flavor.

Serve with a chilled Asahi or very cold dry chardonnay or champagne.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters

Here's the topping.
Fresh chile to taste
Dash of soy sauce
Dash of fish sauce
4 tsp dark maple syrup

For chile lime butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
Excellent. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
SeattleUte

Maybe you could make some ceviche. Look for a good recipe on the Internet. It's basically: cut the halibut in small pieces, and in a bowl add to a generous amount of lime juice, sliced onions, diced tomatoes, chopped garlic, sliced mild chiles, cilantro, maybe some tomato juice, and a few dashes of hot sauce (don't make it too spicy). Stir and marinate in the refrigerator for at least a day. The lime juice sill "cook" the halibut pieces. Serve with saltines and XX. I ate a ceviche every day for breakfast for a while on my mission--whiting and conch.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-25-2006, 04:27 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This sounds absolutely delicious. My guess is that it would be outstanding with olive oil rather than vegetable oil.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote