cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need some good recipes.....

for a few meals:

Stuffing - my mom makes the best stuffing in the world, but I like to try other recipes

French Bread - mainly for homemade subs

Wheat Bread - not for a bread machine
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the stuffing I usually make for Thanksgiving, from epicurious.com

Sausage and Apple Stuffing
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound spicy pork bulk sausage
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced peeled cored apple
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
1 bay leaf
8 cups 1-inch cubes French bread with crusts (from 1-pound loaf)
1 cup whole milk
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
3 large eggs, beaten to blend

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; sauté until cooked through and brown, breaking into pieces with spoon, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Add celery and next 6 ingredients to drippings in skillet. Sauté over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Add mixture to sausage. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Reheat to lukewarm before continuing.)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add bread to sausage mixture. Whisk milk, broth, and butter in bowl to blend. Mix into stuffing; season stuffing with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs; transfer to prepared dish. Bake uncovered until cooked through and brown, about 50 minutes.

I'm still trying to find a wheat bread recipe that I like. Do you like 100% whole wheat or half white, half wheat?

I've been reading about how to make artisanal breads, I would love to be able to make great baguettes. I don't have the time right now to do it, because it seems really time consuming. Some things I remember about it: you have to bake it on a stone, and spray the loaves heavily with warm water before going into the oven. This produces steam and makes that great chewy, dense crust.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok Farrah, last night we bought a turkey and I am going to make this stuffing this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote