cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #131
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
that's exactly my point. you're trying to establish the JST's revelatory authority using the same methods of textual criticism ("circumstantial evidence") that scholars use for Biblical criticism. We don't know how Joseph Smith did the "translation." We only know "probablilities," "likelihoods."
Again, this is exactly wrong. The revelatory authority of the JST is and always was established solely on the calling and authority of the prophet Joseph Smith.

We can debate into which of the four categories suggested by Matthews that a passage might fall (restoration of lost text, commentary, etc.) based on textual criticism, but its position as revelation is unimpeachable, based on the calling of the prophet who translated it.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #132
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
FWIW, we were talking about 1 corinth 15:29 in GD today, and I read the NRSV version as well as the oxford footnote. Two people asked to see my copy of the oxford annotated NRSV.

I'm preaching the anti-KJV gospel, and it's going well.
A good fellow well met.

My little post from the Translators Introduction to the 1611 KJV argues for the Bible to be in the common language of the people. The current situation with the King James-only crowd is ironic.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #133
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
True enough. For someone who admittedly posts things he doesn't believe for the purpose of getting a rise out of people, you should have a tighter reign on your emotions.
Where did I say that?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #134
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Where did I say that?
You know how the search feature works, don't you?

Don't get lazy on me, Lebowski. I am not your mother.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #135
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You know how the search feature works, don't you?

Don't get lazy on me, Lebowski. I am not your mother.
There you go hijacking my phrase again. Sadly, you still don't understand what it meant.

I am guessing you are referring to my post on CB where I said that well-crafted trolling can be entertaining. I also said that I did not consider myself to be a good CB troller. And trolling does not have to consist of stating things you don't believe.

But just to clear things up for you, I don't recall ever posting something that I don't believe. Especially in the religion forum.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 AM   #136
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
True enough. For someone who admittedly posts things he doesn't believe for the purpose of getting a rise out of people, you should have a tighter reign on your emotions.
Ironically, what bothers Lebowski most is that I actually believe the things I post.

Last edited by Tex; 09-10-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #137
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
On my mission, in the English-speaking part, I don't ever recall running into someone that used the KJV.

Almost all were Catholic.
I think the only group who still uses the KJV is evangelicals over the age of 80 (besides us). Under 80 use the NIV.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #138
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I think the only group who still uses the KJV is evangelicals over the age of 80 (besides us). Under 80 use the NIV.
I find it ironic that the KJ translators emphasized the need to read the Bible in common language, yet those supporters of the KJV want a distant, elevated language that is foreign to most English speakers.

I don't like the NIV as much as I like the NRSV, although the verse is plainer and not as poetic.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #139
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is an example, at least in my mind, where the KJV is obtuse, and the NRSV is much morme clear. Hebrews 11:1 is one of the most quoted Biblical passages by Mormons, and I have to say I prefer the NRSV rendition 100x more than the KJV.

KJV

[1] Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
[2] For by it the elders obtained a good report.
[3] Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

NRSV
11Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2Indeed, by faith* our ancestors received approval. 3By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible.*
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote