cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Young lady in your ward at age 17 has intercourse. She repents and does all the things necessary to receive forgiveness.

At age 22 she has fallen in love with a very charming young man. However, his P blessing says someday he will be amongst the leaders of the church and sit in council with them. He doesn't want anything coming out of the wordwork when that day arises.

He shows the fiance's Bishop the P Blessing and asks, Bishop has my fiance ever confessed having pre-marital sex. What do you tell the young man.
I tell him there's no way in the world I can divulge that kind of information. Period. End of story.

For good measure I would remind him that if people have fully repented that God remembers them no more and who are we to deny that blessing and privilege for the penitent.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I tell him there's no way in the world I can divulge that kind of information. Period. End of story.
Yeah but he is using his Patriarchal blessing as a trump card to override the longstanding custom of confidentiality, love and forgiveness in the triangle that is bishop, member, and Christ. I certainly can't wait to hear his views on life in a future General Conference. Maybe it will be broadcast from Sidney Rigdon's church in Memphis.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Yeah but he is using his Patriarchal blessing as a trump card to override the longstanding custom of confidentiality, love and forgiveness in the triangle that is bishop, member, and Christ. I certainly can't wait to hear his views on life in a future General Conference. Maybe it will be broadcast from Sidney Rigdon's church in Memphis.
I've never had a Handbook, but I'm pretty sure there isn't some Patriarchal Blessing exemption clause.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no way on earth I will ever be called as bishop; I know that. But I doubt any reasonably trained bishop would answer that question.

It would be more reasonable to focus upon the young man, not even addressing anything related to the young lady.

Then to focus upon the calling of bishop and the absurdity of the request. Thereafter, it would require a disclaimer, that the fact I'm not addressing it should not imply any conduct by the young lady but that I found his request offensive and not in harmony with the Gospel, thereby making it unlikely he would ever sit in high councils.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'll never be called as a Bishop either, but I'd point blank ask him..."And what is your motive for asking this and what possible relevance does this have with her current worthiness?"

Then watch him squirm.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'll never be called as a Bishop either, but I'd point blank ask him..."And what is your motive for asking this and what possible relevance does this have with her current worthiness?"

Then watch him squirm.
That's a much better response than mine.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Tex reminded us that church leaders do this for prospective GA's and others in high callings. So maybe the kid would have some basis for the question.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Well obviously I'm never getting the call to be a bishop, but hypothetically speaking I of course wouldn't rat the girl out. I would make the kid tell me anything about his future wife in the PB, and ask him if she meets all the qualifications. The move along and have a little discussion about close-minded interpretations of a PB. Send him off to go chat with her in person about past trangressions, and I'd probably give the girl a heads up too. She needs to know that she's marrying someone that would rather get the dirt on her from another party then come straight to the source.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Well obviously I'm never getting the call to be a bishop, but hypothetically speaking I of course wouldn't rat the girl out. I would make the kid tell me anything about his future wife in the PB, and ask him if she meets all the qualifications. The move along and have a little discussion about close-minded interpretations of a PB. Send him off to go chat with her in person about past trangressions, and I'd probably give the girl a heads up too. She needs to know that she's marrying someone that would rather get the dirt on her from another party then come straight to the source.
The fact he wants the "dirt" on her shows a flaw in his character. Why would any counselor assist a person with this character flaw?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #20
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The fact he wants the "dirt" on her shows a flaw in his character. Why would any counselor assist a person with this character flaw?
I don't think it's an unreasonable question to ask. If you're going to be shackled to this person for the rest of eternity you have a right to know what kind of emotional baggage is coming along with them. Especially for the guy, girls get all emotionally jacked up when they're sleeping around. I don't think it's anymore inappropriate than asking if someone is suffering from a mental illness.

It's who he's asking that I have a problem with.

What he chooses to do with the information once he has it is entirely up to him, and who am I to judge that decision?

I have a roommate that had a little history, and was dating a a guy that she thought she might marry. She told him about it, because she admitted upfront that she had emotional issues from the experience, and he deserved to know that. Turns out he had more than her though and so nothing ever came of it.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote