cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you found out that the Golden Plates never existed, would you still be a Mormon?
Yes, the literalness of Joseph Smith's claims don't matter to me. 4 14.29%
Yes, but it would change the way I view the Church. 9 32.14%
No, I couldn't accept the Church as true in such a scenario. 10 35.71%
I'm not a Mormon. 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #31
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
And they said . . .
"I [Joseph Smith] have translated a portion of them, and find they contain the history of the person with whom they were found. He was a descendant of Ham, through the loins of Pharaoh, king of Egypt, and that he received his kingdom from the Ruler of heaven and earth" (DHC 5:372).

--From the Journal of William Clayton

People have disputed the validity of this statement, but only because Clayton wrote it and not Smith. But he was citing smith when he wrote it and we have no reason to think it was made up. I don't think any of this translation was ever published by the church though.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Very quickly: do we have a solid time frame for the Jaredites? Certainly there is ample archaeological evidence of mammoths in the Americas.

Cumoms, cureloms?

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/19#19

That's a very weak peg to hang your hat on as far as disputing historical issues with the Book of Mormon.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #33
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Someone posted an account here recently where one of the disaffected witnesses described the encounter in language that was unambiguously describing something perceived as literal and real. Not hazy, mystical, and probable. But physical, real, and definite.
That was my post. The account was from Hyrum Page.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #34
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
We have the words of the Book of Mormon, which are tremendously inspiring to me personally (and I believe the book to be inspired by God).
See, this is where you lose me. You describe a God that commands honesty yet uses deception to bring us His word.

I guess I'm just not ready to worship such an arbitrary being. Perhaps I will be someday, but not today.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 09-14-2007 at 07:52 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #35
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Very quickly: do we have a solid time frame for the Jaredites? Certainly there is ample archaeological evidence of mammoths in the Americas.

Cumoms, cureloms?

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/19#19

That's a very weak peg to hang your hat on as far as disputing historical issues with the Book of Mormon.
My understanding is that this evidence is definitively pre-Ice Age (none later than, what, something like 12,000 BC). And, uh, there are way more hooks in the closet. Trust me, I've been wrestling with these and dozens of other issues for years. And the side I was rooting for lost, go figure. I genuinely wanted the other side to win out.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #36
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

If nothing else the church has pointed me into a lifestyle that I believe makes me a better person, so I doubt I'd just throw in the towel. I'd probably buy whatever explanation the church leaders came up with. Maybe that makes me a blind follower, but I would have a really hard time being convinced that the BofM isn't inspired text.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #37
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
See, this is where you lose me. You describe a God that commands honesty yet uses deception to bring us His word.

I guess I'm just not ready to worship such an arbitrary being. Perhaps I will be someday, but today.
I believe in a God who inspires people everywhere, but doesn't necessarily intervene a whole lot, other than through people. I believe in a very limited God.

I don't think it's dishonest to inspire people to believe in something that helps them treat each other better. And I think it's actually a problem for people when they feel like faith in the supernatural must rely on something tangible.

Religion is about the supernatural, not the tangible. No religion's scriptures would stand up to solid scrutiny.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #38
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Try the Bible and the Quran, and ask the same question to Christians and Muslims.
The Book of Mormon in its very introduction claims to be literal translation from gold plates of which 11 people testified actually existed. If you don't believe in the plates existence, do you believe that Joseph and the 11 witnesses are liars?

If you believe that Joseph and the 11 were liars, and it was a big conspiracy, do you ever ask what else Joseph lied about? Did he lie about the 1st vision? How can you believe in a church that was founded on what you believe are a pack of lies?

Point me to the introduction of the Bilble and the Quran that makes the claims that the intro to the Book of Mormon makes. Either the intro is a bunch of lies perpetuated to market the Book of Mormon and convert followers thorugh deception, or the plates actually did exist. Which is it?

Last edited by Flystripper; 09-14-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
My understanding is that this evidence is definitively pre-Ice Age (none later than, what, something like 12,000 BC). And, uh, there are way more hooks in the closet. Trust me, I've been wrestling with these and dozens of other issues for years. And the side I was rooting for lost, go figure. I genuinely wanted the other side to win out.
I don't think there's anything that genuinely establishes the dates of things such as Noah, Babel, nor the Jaredites, other than the approximate time of their demise when Coriatumr stumbled onto the Mulekites.

There are ancient man-made structures in the Western Hemisphere which indicates that civilized man lived there extending well into the past, as far back as 10,000-13,000 BC.

There has been opinion offered that Adam predates us by 6,000 years, but I have yet to see definitive teachings on this from modern-day prophets.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #40
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
If nothing else the church has pointed me into a lifestyle that I believe makes me a better person, so I doubt I'd just throw in the towel. I'd probably buy whatever explanation the church leaders came up with. Maybe that makes me a blind follower, but I would have a really hard time being convinced that the BofM isn't inspired text.
I think that just means you're someone with faith (although I don't see a reason to reflexively buy into what leaders say). Sometimes the "any reasonable person should conclude that the BoM is the historical object it has been purported to be" position seems to be trying to compensate for an absence of faith.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote