cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Emma didn't keep JS's male courtship pattern in check.

I blame Emma for polygamy. Joseph Smith had a normal male courtship pattern, and it was Emma's responsibility to keep his male courtship pattern in check (as normally happens with human females). If she had been stronger, polygamy never would have happened.

(Incidentally, male homosexual promiscuity arises largely because there is no female in the equation to counterbalance the male courtship pattern.)
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

So the angel with the flaming sword was completely superfluous?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So the angel with the flaming sword was completely superfluous?
It was a tactic that arose out of Joseph Smith's male courtship pattern.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
It was a tactic that arose out of Joseph Smith's male courtship pattern.
Huh? Do you even know what you're saying at this point?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Huh? Do you even know what you're saying at this point?
Yes. It's just that you believe God sent the angel, and I don't. I believe JS's testicles sent the angel.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Quote:
Yes. It's just that you believe God sent the angel, and I don't. I believe JS's testicles sent the angel.
Oh that's right. You're the one that wants the D&C trimmed.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Oh that's right. You're the one that wants the D&C trimmed.
I only want the testicular revelations removed.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I blame Emma for polygamy. Joseph Smith had a normal male courtship pattern, and it was Emma's responsibility to keep his male courtship pattern in check (as normally happens with human females). If she had been stronger, polygamy never would have happened.

(Incidentally, male homosexual promiscuity arises largely because there is no female in the equation to counterbalance the male courtship pattern.)
I'm not very good with riddles. What the hell is a "male courtship pattern"?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I'm not very good with riddles. What the hell is a "male courtship pattern"?
This is from a 2003 review article by Vernon Quinsey in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences:

Heterosexual men prefer young adult females as sexual partners. The evidence comes from studies of the sexual attractiveness of stimulus persons who vary in age and sex measured by ratings, covertly measured viewing time, and changes in penile tumescence (Freund, Langevin, Cibiri and Zajac, 1973; Harris et al., 1992, 1996; Jankowiak, Hill & Donovan, 1992; Quinsey & Chaplin, 1988a; Quinsey et al., 1975, 1993, 1996; Silverthorne & Quinsey, 2000). Men prefer features that are associated with fertility and health, including symmetrical faces with particular neotenous features (Johnston, 1999) and average weight figures with hip to waist ratios typical of young adult women (Singh, 1993). There is very strong agreement among observers' ratings of the beauty of female faces (Johnston, 1999) and as far as known, these preferences occur across cultures (Bradshaw, Bubier & Sullivan, 1994; Cunningham, Roberts, Barbee, Druen & Wu, 1995; Johnston, 1999; Korthase & Trenholme, 1982; Singh & Luis, 1995). Preferred partner age remains constant over age among adult men (Bradshaw, Bubier & Sullivan, 1994; Korthase & Trenholme, 1982; Silverthorne & Quinsey, 2000).

Heterosexual men are more interested in sexually novel partners than are women, giving rise to what can be termed a "male courtship pattern" characterized by greater male interest in pictures of nudes and erotic movies, desiring a greater number of sexual partners, greater male striving for actual sexual encounters, less discrimination among potential sexual partners in short-term mating contexts, and so forth (for reviews see Buss, 1989; Buss & Schmitt, 1993; and Hamida, Mineka & Bailey, 1998). The ultimate explanation for these features of the male sexual preference system turns on the observation that the principal limiting factor on male reproductive success in ancestral environments was the number of a man's sexual partners, whereas the principal limiting factor on female reproductive success was the resources a woman could obtain to raise the offspring she had, not the number of her sexual partners.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I believe the purpose of our existence is to develop the characteristics incaulcated in God. Exaltation is by definition "life as God lives it."

I can grasp that polygamy presents challenges and trials that helps to facilitate attitudes and characteristics of Deity. I think polygamy helps one to become more unselfish, giving and humble. I think it is very hard work for the man to ensure that the needs, emotional mostly, of more than one women are met. The challenges the women face are more obvious.

Starting from this point, I can understand and even believe that polygamy came from God. One thing I believe about celestial laws is that there is often great potential for abuse. Perhaps this is why they are only to be lived by Celestial people, it is a function of God's trust and their capacity to have overcome the natural man. I can see the good that polygamy can do for man's eternal progression.

However, it is also easy for me to accept that what we saw when wives starting getting into the 50's and 60's is a concept run amok. Perhaps many of the problems the LDS Church encountered in the mid 1800's could have been avoided if this principle was lived the way it was intended instead of the way it was.

Does this wandering make me a closet mullah, closet apostate or a pussie on a fence that is endeavoring to keep a foot both in the world and please academics and a foot in the Kingdom wanting to please orthodox mormons. Am I confused and at a fork in the road with one way leading to Tex, IndyCoug life and salvation and the other way leading to SeattleUte?

What would Yogi Berra do?