cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #41
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Did they really need a study to come to those conclusions? That men like hot, young babes, and lots of them?
I have said before and will say again, it is a God given talent.

I actually think women are more sensitive, caring, meticulous, loving and all those really good nuturing qualities.

If it wasn't for the God given male sex drive, only gay guys would hang out with women.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
In my old ward, we had a divorced, slender lady as the RS president. Think that was a strategic move by the bishop?
All the fat ones said no, or had already served in that position?

I can't remember the last skinny RS President I've seen. I only remember one with an advanced degree and none with a job.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #43
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Women in the church are not allowed to think independently or express their thoughts openly. There are no forums and the penalties too great to take a risk.
Two very quick examples: ward welfare and ward council meetings do exactly that. That's hardly an exhaustive list, but you said there are "no forums", so I didn't need to be exhaustive.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Two very quick examples: ward welfare and ward council meetings do exactly that. That's hardly an exhaustive list, but you said there are "no forums", so I didn't need to be exhaustive.
But there is no equivalent to PEC for women.

I think the penalties are greater for men than women, for not towing the line.

Because men have an expected hierarchy, whereas women in the church in some ways can step out.

Do women play a somewhat marginal role in many respects? Yes, they do.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #45
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I think the penalties are greater for men than women, for not towing the line.

Because men have an expected hierarchy, whereas women in the church in some ways can step out.

Do women play a somewhat marginal role in many respects? Yes, they do.
It seems the misconception in this thread is about priesthood power. Those who have it = 1st class. Those who don't = 2nd class.

That is an incorrect understanding of how the church functions. Until a person rids themself of this perspective, there's really no point in discussion women vs. men in the church.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #46
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Indy, I know you are more intelligent than your comment reflects. Your sample consists of a wife and the women in your family? Based on my experiences with a much broader cross section of both married and single LDS women, I can "opine" (you are watching way too much O'Reilly Fox News) the following:

1. The majority of educated (college degree plus post graduate) LDS women are of the opinion the Church, as an institution, unfairly (key word) excludes women from positions of power/influence.
2. The religious practices and customs of the LDS Church literally brainwash girls from a young age forward that we are secondary to males. Examples abound: from Primary and YW through the marriage ceremony.

Women in the church are not allowed to think independently or express their thoughts openly. There are no forums and the penalties too great to take a risk.
I do not think of the church as an institution that we get a say in. If the brethern say no priesthood for the ladies, it really doesn't matter how they feel does it. These churches that change their doctrine based on the members vote or attitude I don't understand. Unless of course God just sets up guidelines and then asks us to work things out within those guidelines. If I beleived in that, I would scurry off to one of those churches.

If this isn't God's church, it will eventually evolve into one of those where members get to vote, if not physically with their attitudes. With the growth and spread outside of Utah and Idaho comes more who are not culturally and religiously tied to the church.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #47
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It seems the misconception in this thread is about priesthood power. Those who have it = 1st class. Those who don't = 2nd class.

That is an incorrect understanding of how the church functions. Until a person rids themself of this perspective, there's really no point in discussion women vs. men in the church.
priesthood = authority

Authority exercised = power
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #48
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You say that like it holds some significance. In my experience, there is very little practical difference between PEC and ward council other than the meeting frequency.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
priesthood = authority

Authority exercised = power
Agreed.

Can a woman make any religious decision with authority in Church? No. No power for women.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Who decides who occupies which callings? While some bishops may ask for suggestions from women, it's men that make the call.

Who decides on speakers and talks? Men.

Who makes final decisions about finances? Men. Despite the fact we have a female accountant in our ward, she will never be the financial clerk? Why?

etc. etc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote