cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #31
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
What if all the men in the church were told that the noblest calling they could have would be as a construction worker? It's useful to society, you can stay physically fit, and you'd make very little pay, but it would be an honest living.

I object that the job of homemaker should be held up as the dream job for every woman. Do I look down upon women who like being homemakers (and are good at it). Of course not. But why should it be for everyone?

I am grateful to be a mother, and I know how important that job is. But one day, the kids will be in school and I don't think I will be happy as a homemaker.
That is an awfully narrow view of what is said. Sad actually, for that's not what I or my wife heard. My wife felt supported, appreciated and grateful that she was acknowledged in conference by another woman, an authority in the church.

Last edited by tooblue; 10-07-2007 at 06:37 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #32
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
At least you bring some hilarity to my day. Married mormon men tell single mormon woman to "stop chasing men, get married and all will be well in Zion"? Are your lives really this black and white? You just reinforce the fact that GC is all about the mainstream. Was Christ this exclusive?
Uhmmm when have I ever written such nonsense. You're right, GC should be all about you ... you, you, you, you ... you are all that matters in this world.

oh my.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

are homemakers in the church actually insecure about whether what they are doing is approved by the church?

I wouldn't think so.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #34
Sassy in RS

Sassy in RS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
You sneered but intimating that she did not quote scripture, perhaps to undermine the validity of her words. Don't attempt to turn it on me. Answer my sincere question.
If by "sincere" you mean "sincerely belligerent," than I agree you are sincere.

Who do you think you are? A bishop lecturing a YW leader during Ward Council?

You seem threatened by strong women.
Sassy in RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #35
tooblue

Quote:
That is an awfully narrow view of what is said. Sad actually, for that's not what I or my wife heard. My wife felt supported, appreciated and grateful that she was acknowledged in conference by another woman, an authority in the church.
Unfortunately my wife often feels put down at church especially in her calling. In the presidency in which she serves she is the only one that does not work ... or at least that what she is told at every meeting by the other woman!

Oh, sister tooblue can take care of it -she doesn't work. It's a pervasive attitude she must contend with weekly. She is deemed less important, less occupied, less relevant.

It's about time someone other than a condescending man stood up for her.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not aware of a woman in my ward with children of school age who has a professional career.

I'm sure there are, I'm just not aware of one. I am aware of one that is going to school in order to have one. So I'll count her as one.

It's the women with jobs that are feeling guilty in the church, not the other way around.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #37
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy in RS View Post
If by "sincere" you mean "sincerely belligerent," than I agree you are sincere.

Who do you think you are? A bishop lecturing a YW leader during Ward Council?

You seem threatened by strong women.
Now I'm threatened? I ofter an honest opinion and question and refuse to back down from your criticism and I am somehow threatened by strong woman?

I do not place you on a pedestal, sorry, I'm not simply going to defer to your so called greater sensativity and spirituality.

lol

You are the one who appears to be threatened by a strong woman.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #38
Sassy in RS

Sassy in RS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now I'm threatened? I ofter an honest opinion and question and refuse to back down from your criticism and I am somehow threatened by strong woman?

I do not place you on a pedestal, sorry, I'm not simply going to defer to your so called greater sensativity and spirituality.

lol

You are the one who appears to be threatened by a strong woman.
I used to wear two earrings so as to avoid ever having to converse with jerks such as yourself.
Sassy in RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #39
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Uhmmm when have I ever written such nonsense. You're right, GC should be all about you ... you, you, you, you ... you are all that matters in this world.

oh my.
Careful TB, you wouldn't want to allow the entire world to observe your obvious immaturity and lack of intelligence on GC Sunday. My point is simply the church should be more inclusive and, as you so brilliantly exemplify, a bit less judgmental.

Perhaps you could revert to your uneducated anti-evolution mode. Give us some variety.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #40
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
are homemakers in the church actually insecure about whether what they are doing is approved by the church?

I wouldn't think so.
Speak with my wife. She is continually assailed by the notion that somehow she should not feel insecure, simply because she supposadly receives more support in the church. You have done it right here with your post

Boy, that's awfully insensitive for a man of your profession.