cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is being gay a choice?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 24 66.67%
Undecided 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Gay people suck. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #12
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
True, which only makes the point Arch is making.
From my point of view, it directly contradicts his point. since those factors occur on both sides, there's no point in emphasizing it only on one side and therefore declaring that the question is pointless. To me, this question is perfectly valid.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 AM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here is the better question: what is it about believing, for the vast majority, it is not a choice, is so difficult for some people? In other words, what is the psychological difficulty?
THat I can't answer. It seems pretty clear to me.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Archaea isn't making any point. He's taking the Fifth. What he wrote is incoherent.

Come one. Get out of your skin. Try to imagine a time in your youth when you were neutral in terms of sexual preference. The choice confronted you, and you chose heterosexual (or vice versa). Like you decided to major in English or History or Engineering in college.

Two questions: 1) Can you possibly imagine such a thing? 2) Why would someone confronted with such a choice (remember, in theory such a person is completely sexually preference neutral) choose to make their life so much more difficult when the crystal clear path of least resistance is being heterosexual?

Have you ever known a gay person who didn't have to overcome a lot of negative reaction, even hatred from family and friends, not to mention potential emploers, etc.? The very existence of this anti-gay Constitutional amendment illustrates the premise for my second question.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Homosexuality seems to be a spectrum combing environmental factors and occasionally aspects of personal choice. Such a wonderfully binary approach in a base 12 world.
This is blather. It's vacuous. Devoid of meaning. Archaea, please address this problem speaking English in declarative sentences, absent weasel words.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Archaea isn't making any point. He's taking the Fifth. What he wrote is incoherent.

Come one. Get out of your skin. Try to imagine a time in your youth when you were neutral in terms of sexual preference. The choice confronted you, and you chose heterosexual (or vice versa). Like you decided to major in English or History or Engineering in college.

Two questions: 1) Can you possibly imagine such a thing? 2) Why would someone confronted with such a choice (remember, in theory such a person is completely sexually preference neutral) choose to make their life so much more difficult when the crystal clear path of least resistance is being heterosexual?

Have you ever known a gay person who didn't have to overcome a lot of negative reaction, even hatred from family and friends, not to mention potential emploers, etc.? The very existence of this anti-gay Constitutional amendment illustrates the premise for my second question.
Then what is bisexuality? choose to not care? what if you decide you have a preference but don't feel compelled? are you then gay? Look, I think most of it is genetic. In fact, I think the vast amjority of it is,. But nto all of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Then what is bisexuality? choose to not care? what if you decide you have a preference but don't feel compelled? are you then gay? Look, I think most of it is genetic. In fact, I think the vast amjority of it is,. But nto all of it.
I'm not talking about bisexuals. You're needlessly complicating it. I'm talking about gays. But okay, have it your way. For that matter, did bisexuals choose to be such?

—Paul Auster
Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 AM   #18
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

As I'm sure many of us are aware, sexuality isn't binary. Just about every animal is bisexual to some degree, and I imagine that it would be much more prevalent among humans if not for cultural taboos and whatnot. It therefore makes sense that people do, to at least a small degree, "choose" exclusive heterosexuality or exclusive homosexuality, although I very much doubt it is an active choice in any but perhaps a very small number.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 AM   #19
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

I think there are few true bisexuals.

People who engage in sexual behavior with both genders are only bisexual if they really have no preference. Most people who play on both sides of the ball generally prefer one side or the other, making them either homosexuals who sometimes exhibit heterosexual behavior or heterosexuals who sometimes exhibit homosexual behavior.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I think there are few true bisexuals.

People who engage in sexual behavior with both genders are only bisexual if they really have no preference. Most people who play on both sides of the ball generally prefer one side or the other, making them either homosexuals who sometimes exhibit heterosexual behavior or heterosexuals who sometimes exhibit homosexual behavior.
I think this is right.

—Paul Auster