cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
including some who post here. That is the belief that God is not intimately involved in our daily lives, directs us in what to do, etc. The belief that he is more of a macro-manager (if that).

It's sad to me the blessings that are being left on the table by this attitude. Here is a great book on the subject:

http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=0179957
Could be semantics. My mother and father are intimately involved in my daily life. Heck, I find myself using phrases he used. I get twinges of guilt that I am sure my Mom correctly instilled in me.

On the other hand I make many many decisions each day that I don't ask them for guidance and many others that there is no right or wrong answer and I know they would say, that is your decision.

On a big one, I probably would still ask for an opinion.

If someone asks God about everything and feels he is intimately involved constantly, I am happy for the person. I wouldn't try to talk them into having the same relationship I do.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
You're saddened about many active members of the Church even though you admit it's not a one size fits all? Please understand I'm not attacking, just looking for clarification. I probably misunderstood you.
By one size fits all I didn't mean that I thought it was okay for someone t obe totally the other way. Just that there are varying levels. I believe everyone can and should have a personal relationship with God. And for those who don't or think they can't, that saddens me. Beyond that it's between you and Him.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
If someone asks God about everything and feels he is intimately involved constantly, I am happy for the person.
As I said above, I certainly don't think EVERY decision requires this. But I believer there are some that do. And more importantly, that there are times that if we are listening, we will get inspiration "out of the blue" about things we haven't necessarily been thinking about.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I think there are two general trends which we simply can't fully appreciate:

1). How much God tries to get us to make our own decisions and act according to our own will, such that we can more fully develop and lay claim to the glory which he wishes that we have;

and 2.) How much he has done, especially behind the scenes, in order to make that happen, and to bring to pass that which we wish to accomplish in life.
Well said.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Indeed. People think too narrowly if they think God being intimately involved in our lives means that he's constantly intervening.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
including some who post here. That is the belief that God is not intimately involved in our daily lives, directs us in what to do, etc. The belief that he is more of a macro-manager (if that).

It's sad to me the blessings that are being left on the table by this attitude. Here is a great book on the subject:

http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=0179957
Your concept of God has been passe for a long time. The Founding Fathers rejected it, and Einstein spoke eloquently against it. Go try to sell your concept of God to the people in Somalia.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Your concept of God has been passe for a long time. The Founding Fathers rejected it, and Einstein spoke eloquently against it. Go try to sell your concept of God to the people in Somalia.

Not that I needed it. But your comment is a ringing endorsement for my position. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Not that I needed it. But your comment is a ringing endorsement for my position. Thank you.
Your concept of God is inherently provincial, bordering on narsissistic, not to mention ethically immature.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Your concept of God is inherently provincial, bordering on narsissistic, not to mention ethically immature.
Mike, can we change SU's title from Senior Member to "Swine". That way when we cast pearls it will be clear.

BTW, which is more narcissistic and/or arrogant. Believing that blessings you have come from God, or from your "own understanding" and talents?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
ANd yours is transient, ill-defined, equally narcissistic (if not more so) and ultimately meaningless, bowing as it apparently does to what is not currently considered 'passe.'