cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

sometimes apostate is used for 1. former member and active campaigner against the church 2. former member, bitter towards the church, doesn't campaign 3. former member, doesn't believe, not bitter.

As for me being on the spectrum, back a long time ago, I didn't really think there were many people who thought like me in the church. But the older I get, the more I have found how heterogenous views are in the church. Sometimes you trick yourself into thinking the loud Tex-types are the average member, but they are not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #42
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

God I love this site.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #43
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There is a scriptural test for whether a community of saints have lost their way.

Mormon 9:

And who shall say that Jesus Christ did not do many mighty amiracles? And there were many bmighty miracles wrought by the hands of the apostles.
19 And if there were amiracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he bchangeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.
20 And the reason why he ceaseth to do amiracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should btrust.
21 Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, awhatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this bpromise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth.

We know the modern Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints isn't in apostasy because of all the miracles being done. For instance the many miracles done by Gordon B. Hinckley and the miracles done by President Monson since his assendency. Add those to the the miracles performed by Elder Christofferson since his call last month.

These miracles are clear evidence that we have not dwindled in unbelief and departed from the right way and still know the God in whom we should trust.
You are a truly skilled sophist.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #44
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
As for me being on the spectrum, back a long time ago, I didn't really think there were many people who thought like me in the church. But the older I get, the more I have found how heterogenous views are in the church. Sometimes you trick yourself into thinking the loud Tex-types are the average member, but they are not.
Amen, brother.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #45
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
It'll be interesting to see the look on his face when Jesus calls him on his bullshit.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I completely agree.

Depending on how you were using the word "sophist."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #47
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There is a scriptural test for whether a community of saints have lost their way.

Mormon 9:

And who shall say that Jesus Christ did not do many mighty amiracles? And there were many bmighty miracles wrought by the hands of the apostles.
19 And if there were amiracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he bchangeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.
20 And the reason why he ceaseth to do amiracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should btrust.
21 Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, awhatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this bpromise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth.

We know the modern Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints isn't in apostasy because of all the miracles being done. For instance the many miracles done by Gordon B. Hinckley and the miracles done by President Monson since his assendency. Add those to the the miracles performed by Elder Christofferson since his call last month.

These miracles are clear evidence that we have not dwindled in unbelief and departed from the right way and still know the God in whom we should trust.
Define miracle.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #48
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Define miracle.
A marginal Defensive Coordinator from a struggling staff is hired to be a head coach mostly because he is cheap and quickly develops into a great head coach.....not just once but twice.

Trully, the good Lord is amongst us, can I get an AMEN?!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #49
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
A marginal Defensive Coordinator from a struggling staff is hired to be a head coach mostly because he is cheap and quickly develops into a great head coach.....not just once but twice.

AMEN! Praise Jesus! Hallelujah!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #50
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

This may be overstating it a bit. Pete Carroll was an average head coach for the Jets. I agree that he is a great head coach at SC.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote