cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #41
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I see the point and agree to an extent. I need to think about it some more, but I can't help but think there are some large steps the church can make to lessen the pain gay members feel.
I wasn't trying to say the church can't, I just honestly don't really know how they would go about doing that, without accepting the behavior.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #42
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Bottom line: Most LDS gays don't want to be a part of a church that views them as perverted and deny them the opportunity for intimate relationships that heterosexuals enjoy.

Most LDS church members don't want gays to be part of the church.

I guess most people are fine with the current arrangement.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #43
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I wasn't trying to say the church can't, I just honestly don't really know how they would go about doing that, without accepting the behavior.
There's a lot we could do without accepting the behavior as OK. Eliminate homophobia in ALL of its forms. Teach your children not to hate people because of their sexual orientation. Treat homosexuality just like every other sexual sin, and acknowledge that even the best and most moral people may struggle with this issue. Don't encourage "cure" therapies (officially, the church has stopped this; unofficially, not so sure--a first presidency message might help here).

That's just a start...

And those of you who don't buy there's a genetic base to this--this is not really up for debate anymore. Twin studies are fairly conclusive on this issue.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
And those of you who don't buy there's a genetic base to this--this is not really up for debate anymore. Twin studies are fairly conclusive on this issue.
As is the case with any behavioral trait, it's some varying combination of nature and nurture.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #45
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gays may be born gay. I don't think anyone should teach hate for gays. As long as I don't have "their" rights and needs pushed in my face, I can coincide with gays just fine.

On the other hand if I am willing to accept their generic predispositions, I think they should accept mine that the thought of two guys having at it is repulsive to me. That wasn't a learned response, but generic also.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #46
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Gays may be born gay. I don't think anyone should teach hate for gays. As long as I don't have "their" rights and needs pushed in my face, I can coincide with gays just fine.

On the other hand if I am willing to accept their generic predispositions, I think they should accept mine that the thought of two guys having at it is repulsive to me. That wasn't a learned response, but generic also.
So is the thought of my mom and dad. Or two old/fat/ugly/etc people.

Why do you have to picture them going at it? We really don't have a right to be "repulsed" by anyone. Repulsed by their actions? Sure. By them? No. I think this separation is especially difficult in looking at gay people, but necessary nonetheless. And a commandment.

I agree that many of the gay community are in-your-face, and I don't think anyone's obligated to embrace that behavior. But, believe it or not, this really doesn't represent the majority of gay people. Most are like any of us, and keep to themselves for the most part.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #47
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Teach your children not to hate people because of their sexual orientation.
I don't believe we as a people teach hate.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #48
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So is the thought of my mom and dad. Or two old/fat/ugly/etc people.

Why do you have to picture them going at it? We really don't have a right to be "repulsed" by anyone. Repulsed by their actions? Sure. By them? No. I think this separation is especially difficult in looking at gay people, but necessary nonetheless. And a commandment.

I agree that many of the gay community are in-your-face, and I don't think anyone's obligated to embrace that behavior. But, believe it or not, this really doesn't represent the majority of gay people. Most are like any of us, and keep to themselves for the most part.
You won't see me leading any marches against gays. You won't see me telling people they are disgusting people. As a matter of fact I know some really nice and accomplished gay people.

However, I don't want it being taught in school that their life style is normal. Can't we teach it is another lifestyle and we shouldn't hate because of it, but it isn't normal. Are human beings to unintelligent to hold those two thoughts at the same time.

I have seen even on the animal planet talking about two lions or tigers or something that hung out together and engaged in homo sexual actions. The animal planet called it abnormal behavior for the lions or tigers.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #49
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
Took the words out of my mouth.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #50
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
"Hate the sin, love the sinner"

A lot of people forget that last part.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote