cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That's a dodge.

Many Mormon gay young men are tormented this very moment, and God will not answer their prayers to remove (what you call an impediment to exaltation) this SSA/homosexuality.

Don't you feel bad for them?
Of course I feel bad for them. The urge isn't the impediment, it's acting on the urge.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Quote:
That's a dodge.

It's not a dodge, it's a pertinent point to Swarthout's use of a 1970's pamphlet that really wasn't all that out of step with the DSM-III which was the prevailing academic thought on the subject.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's not a dodge, it's a pertinent point to Swarthout's use of a 1970's pamphlet that really wasn't all that out of step with the DSM-III which was the prevailing academic thought on the subject.
Which supports my statements on this board and CB that at times I have been ripped on for making. Everything that comes from the church isn't or shouldn't be taken as Gods word.

It should be taken as his servents word, which may or may not refelect how God feels.

Which then neatly goes into another one of my long held arguments, the honor code doesn't come from God. It is a code his servants choose to use to control or run the church owned school.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Given that pamphlet, it's easy to see why the greatest geopolitical issue for the Brethren is homosexuality.

It's not abortion, political oppression, fasicism, communism, totalitarianism, radical Islam, world hunger, disease, etc.

It's homosexuality. Because homosexuals will destroy the entire human race.

You see how these ideas percolate. For one generation, they are literally like unto a nuclear holocaust, these gays. For the next generation, gays will not destroy the world, but gay marriage will destroy the world.

Just like the belief that blacks are cursed, "fence-sitters", and spiritually inferior to one generation. To the next, they are "allowed" in the door, but don't marry them, that's wrong.

When my generation takes over, I suspect that views will be different on these two issues.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Given that pamphlet, it's easy to see why the greatest geopolitical issue for the Brethren is homosexuality.

It's not abortion, political oppression, fasicism, communism, totalitarianism, radical Islam, world hunger, disease, etc.

It's homosexuality. Because homosexuals will destroy the entire human race.

You see how these ideas percolate. For one generation, they are literally like unto a nuclear holocaust, these gays. For the next generation, gays will not destroy the world, but gay marriage will destroy the world.

Just like the belief that blacks are cursed, "fence-sitters", and spiritually inferior to one generation. To the next, they are "allowed" in the door, but don't marry them, that's wrong.

When my generation takes over, I suspect that views will be different on these two issues.
I weep for your generation because they're evidently too stupid to understand that the church doesn't say that marrying people of another race is "wrong".
Old 06-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sexuality of any type is all in a person's mind, so why should homosexuality be any different?
Link?

Thanks in advance.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if the church still believes, as that pamphlet says, that most cases of homosexuality can be "cured."

I highly doubt their success rate.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Link?

Thanks in advance.
Where do you think sexual urges come from? Your ankles? Your brain processes various stimuli and formulates reponses to those stimuli. Not all brains are created equal, so people react differently to different stimuli.

Why do I even need to engage in this exercise of pointing out the stupifyingly obvious?

Last edited by Indy Coug; 06-10-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Which supports my statements on this board and CB that at times I have been ripped on for making. Everything that comes from the church isn't or shouldn't be taken as Gods word.

It should be taken as his servents word, which may or may not refelect how God feels.

Which then neatly goes into another one of my long held arguments, the honor code doesn't come from God. It is a code his servants choose to use to control or run the church owned school.
I agree with you in theory--that imperfect men are trying, in their imperfect way, to relate God's will to His church.

However, if there's something to get right, in my view, this is it. To you, me, and 95% of church membership, this isn't a big deal. We don't struggle with it, it seems to make sense that this issue is similar to anyone else's weaknesses, and that turning to God will help. To the youth who struggles with it, and then is given bad advice and/or dealt with as a "pervert", this is potentially life-wrecking.

This may be what the DSM-III was teaching, but that's no excuse for the church of God (whose leaders claim their wisdom is superior to that of the world--read the pamphlet) to get this wrong. I just don't get this.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #20
ERCougar

Quote:
Where do you think sexual urges come from? Your ankles? Your brain processes various stimuli and formulates reponses to those stimuli. Not all brains are created equal, so people react differently to different stimuli.

Why do I even need to engage in this exercise of pointing out the stupifyingly obvious?
Yup, brains and ankles--those are my two body parts. Why did med school take so long?

You're right--it's stupifyingly obvious.