cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
That's a pretty selfish view of God. God's not there to do what we want him to do.

Did God fail Paul with his thorn?

his strength is made perfect in weakness...
The pamphlet says that SSA/homosexuality can be cured by prayer, study, and counsel from a Bishop.

The writers of the pamphlet, were they wrong? Misguided? Uninspired? Did this lead to many gays who accept this counsel to feel like there was something wrong with them, that God in particular did not care for them?

Is this pamphlet the well-spring for the church's opposition, seemingly above all other issues in the world, to gay marriage?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #42
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The pamphlet says that SSA/homosexuality can be cured by prayer, study, and counsel from a Bishop.

The writers of the pamphlet, were they wrong? Misguided? Uninspired? Did this lead to many gays who accept this counsel to feel like there was something wrong with them, that God in particular did not care for them?

Is this pamphlet the well-spring for the church's opposition, seemingly above all other issues in the world, to gay marriage?
Why do you think eternal marriage is of utmost importance in the LDS church? Why does it appear to be of greater eternal value than the temporal conditions of hunger or oppression?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #43
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

DO you think that through prayers, study and counsel someone with SSA could learn to control their behavior? IOW, learn to remain celibate?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What????? Since when do we assume 100% control of all our brain functions? Can we control our heart rate just by thinking about it (spare me the Eastern mysticism examples)? Can we control the hormonal balance in our bodies just by thinking about it? Can we control any number of other functions our brain is responsible for?

Stop trying to be so ridiculously obtuse.
I love when someone has a point you can't answer, it's him who's being obtuse.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #45
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I love when someone has a point you can't answer, it's him who's being obtuse.
A point I can't answer? For instance? Are you actually going to make a point, or are you just putting on your Lebowski hat for the day?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
DO you think that through prayers, study and counsel someone with SSA could learn to control their behavior? IOW, learn to remain celibate?
Possibly. But I'm not aware of an LDS case, and neither was anyone else here when I asked.

Is anyone here aware of an active gay celibate temple recommend-holding LDS person over 30 years old?

Of the people that have tried what you have suggested, I suspect the success rate is extraordinarily low.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #47
Indy Coug

Quote:
Is anyone here aware of an active gay celibate temple recommend-holding LDS person over 30 years old?
Yes.

Quote:
I suspect the success rate is extraordinarily low.
Undoubtedly you are correct.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #48
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
A point I can't answer? For instance? Are you actually going to make a point, or are you just putting on your Lebowski hat for the day?
SoCal is that guy who hides under the table during a brawl, then emerges after it's over and claims victory.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #49
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

They are probably right, it can be cured. It didn't say, they will be cured. In actuality church counselors, professionals, in the early eighties were resigned to the fact that most homosexuals could not be changed and that their existence in the church would depend on their ability to practice abstinence.

Prayers can heal the sick. We all know of instances where it doesn't. Prayer can get us out of a tough financial bind, we all know instances where it doesn't. Religious leaders by nature are going to tell us prayer heals everything, then tell us we have to follow the Lords will if it doesn't. We all have to deal with these inconsistencies in our own way.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #50
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Again, contradicting the pamphlet.
I haven't seen anybody here saying the pamphlet was correct. It has been said that it was in concert with the medical / psychological theories of the time, which I think is accurate.

Why is it so hard to grasp that the Lord would inspire the leaders of the Church in much the same way he does us in our own lives? From time to time, there is very direct inspiration about what we should do, answers to prayers, etc. But more often than not, he leaves us on our own to make the right decisions. He gave us brains for a reason and expects us to use them.