cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #21
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Also, dont just throw your garments on the floor, please.
I don't know if you're being serious or not, but I've heard this from several people lately. I had never heard it until a couple of years ago. I don't know why I find it so funny but when you consider where the garments are all day long, well, the floor doesn't seem so bad.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #22
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I echo the congratulations of the rest of the board. It truly is a great step to take in one's life.

"Don't freak out" was probably over the top, but I have certainly known people who've gone once and not gone back because they got "freaked out." It's just kind of one of those things that at least for me, made more sense the more I went and I got increasingly comfortable with the whole ceremony and process as time passed.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #23
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
with my younger brother. Did anyone else have church leaders attempting to psyche you out beforehand? My stake president said all kinds of weird things like "don't freak out." I wasn't freaked out until he said that, and then I had to stop and wonder what I was about to get myself into. I kept waiting for something really shocking to happen...and it never did.

I will admit that later that evening I did have a moment of panic when I realized that there's no turning back now, which is admittedly a ridiculous thing to even worry about, since I wasn't planning on falling off the wagon anyway.
Congrats!

When I was getting ready to go through the temple, my dad told me, "I was really FREAKED out my first time through, just so you know." This was hardly comforting and gave my imagination a little too much room to wander! You just shouldn't say stuff like that to the uninitiated. The temple ordinances are shrouded in so much mystique as is that making comments like "don't freak out" will inevitably lead to exactly that.

Another somewhat traumatizing part of getting ready to go through the temple involved my interview with the stake president. The interview itself went fine, but when he asked what I knew about the temple and I told him a few things (small things that everybody knows, like the fact that narrative is performed live at Salt Lake), he got almost ANGRY with me. He seemed infuriated that I knew some stuff, and with total accusation in his voice he asked me where I had heard it. When I told him that my family had talked about it, he said that they were not honoring their temple covenants and that you are NOT, absolutely NOT to speak of the temple like that. I found myself repeatedly apologizing and then I felt like I had done something horribly wrong. So yeah, that wasn't the most positive experience...
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 AM   #24
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I agree that "Don't freak out" leads to exactly that. I think people are well-intentioned, but just aren't thinking about what they're saying.

My first experience was not a good one. I didn't really have a temple prep class and I'm not sure it would've helped, at least as the current prep classes are taught. The two things that would have really helped me in my first experience are:
1) Outlining the covenants we'll be making. I don't think we need to share sacred symbols or tokens, but what's the harm in discussing the covenants we make? I think it would really add to the experience if we've carefully considered and prayed about the ramifications of these beforehand.
2) Discussing the proper place and history of ritual and ordinance in worship. My first temple experience came at a time in my life when I was focused on the non-ritual aspects of our religion; the temple is a distinct departure from this.

Anyway, congrats BDB. I'm glad you've gained some strength and testimony from the experience.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
Congrats!

When I was getting ready to go through the temple, my dad told me, "I was really FREAKED out my first time through, just so you know." This was hardly comforting and gave my imagination a little too much room to wander! You just shouldn't say stuff like that to the uninitiated. The temple ordinances are shrouded in so much mystique as is that making comments like "don't freak out" will inevitably lead to exactly that.

Another somewhat traumatizing part of getting ready to go through the temple involved my interview with the stake president. The interview itself went fine, but when he asked what I knew about the temple and I told him a few things (small things that everybody knows, like the fact that narrative is performed live at Salt Lake), he got almost ANGRY with me. He seemed infuriated that I knew some stuff, and with total accusation in his voice he asked me where I had heard it. When I told him that my family had talked about it, he said that they were not honoring their temple covenants and that you are NOT, absolutely NOT to speak of the temple like that. I found myself repeatedly apologizing and then I felt like I had done something horribly wrong. So yeah, that wasn't the most positive experience...
that's both sad and funny. did he use his GA voice?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #26
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that's both sad and funny. did he use his GA voice?
No, it was a nearly furious voice. Maybe he was going for Moses and the burning bush voice. Whatever the voice was, was neither reassuring nor necessary.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #27
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't freak out but I did think, "jeez this is a cult."

10 years later though, I still find temples to be the most peaceful places on earth.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'll bet comfort at time of endowment is strongly correlated to lifetime temple attendance.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 AM   #29
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
with my younger brother. Did anyone else have church leaders attempting to psyche you out beforehand? My stake president said all kinds of weird things like "don't freak out." I wasn't freaked out until he said that, and then I had to stop and wonder what I was about to get myself into. I kept waiting for something really shocking to happen...and it never did.

I will admit that later that evening I did have a moment of panic when I realized that there's no turning back now, which is admittedly a ridiculous thing to even worry about, since I wasn't planning on falling off the wagon anyway.
Whenever I talk to someone getting ready to go to the temple I always slip in a "don't worry the blood washes right off"... they kind of go bug eyed for a moment but its good for a little laugh.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Maybe you should make a crack about PETA. That would get the mind turning things over.

In reality probably not a good idea to make jokes about whatever taboo thing you can think of to freak someone out.