cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
let's face it Cali, there are A LOT, maybe even a supermajority of LDS that hate homosexuals and have no interest in being compassionate to these people that are intent on destroying marriage and causing the church to lose the most important battle (It's "Gettysburg" per the prophet) in its history.

So yes, that is why you are seeing a negative reaction to these frighteningly benign and no-brainer requests.
A "supermajority" HATES homosexuals?

I don't buy it.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
let's face it Cali, there are A LOT, maybe even a supermajority of LDS that hate homosexuals and have no interest in being compassionate to these people that are intent on destroying marriage and causing the church to lose the most important battle (It's "Gettysburg" per the prophet) in its history.

So yes, that is why you are seeing a negative reaction to these frighteningly benign and no-brainer requests.
Slight correction....there are A LOT of LDS that think to themselves..."I dont hate homosexuals......after all, I dont want them to die.....I just think they are disgusting, sinful, and better off somewhere else where I don't have to deal with them. But I don't hate them.....I love my fellowman..."

It is usually at this time that these members throw out the "love the sinner, not the sin" justification for their non-hateful ways.....which would not quite explain why we don't have the same attitude in the Church towards other sinners that we seem to have towards homosexuals.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Just once I'd like to hear, from the pulpit at GC, that it's the fathers fault for not pushing them enough to play sports. Just once!
Not me. Every time there is a sports story given by a GA, it is a disappointment....it is either a fabrication (Paul H Dunn) or you find out that Joseph Wirthlin could have pushed the football over the goal line while at the bottom of a pileup....but he chose not to!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 AM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Not me. Every time there is a sports story given by a GA, it is a disappointment....it is either a fabrication (Paul H Dunn) or you find out that Joseph Wirthlin could have pushed the football over the goal line while at the bottom of a pileup....but he chose not to!
Wirthlin's story is inspirational. Ole' Swifty played for the Utes. Even then he felt athletic success at the U is detrimental to the Lord's work.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Slight correction....there are A LOT of LDS that think to themselves..."I dont hate homosexuals......after all, I dont want them to die.....I just think they are disgusting, sinful, and better off somewhere else where I don't have to deal with them. But I don't hate them.....I love my fellowman..."

It is usually at this time that these members throw out the "love the sinner, not the sin" justification for their non-hateful ways.....which would not quite explain why we don't have the same attitude in the Church towards other sinners that we seem to have towards homosexuals.
Superb.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
A "supermajority" HATES homosexuals?

I don't buy it.
I bet they wouldn't get 500 signatures protesting the hate offensive in California.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

That supermajority post was mine and not Farrah's.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #18
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I was discussing Prop 8 with a devout LDS relative of mine, and I asked him the standard, "How does gay marriage threaten, in any way at all, my heterosexual marriage?" question. He had no coherent answer, just ended up with a non sequitur response of, "I just don't know how to act around gays."
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:43 AM   #19
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I bet they wouldn't get 500 signatures protesting the hate offensive in California.
You left a few messes behind you:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...t=21451&page=2

Let me know when you want to rejoin the conversation.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I was discussing Prop 8 with a devout LDS relative of mine, and I asked him the standard, "How does gay marriage threaten, in any way at all, my heterosexual marriage?" question. He had no coherent answer, just ended up with a non sequitur response of, "I just don't know how to act around gays."
I asked the same of my dad a while back. He couldn't come up with anything either. Then he started forwarding me links to crap blogs/articles. These anti-gay-marriage LDS are desperate for some good material in their defense but the best they can come up with is stuff from people like the noted homophobe Orson Scott Card. And he is a HUGE step up from the other morons.

I'm not getting forwarded emails from my extended family anymore attacking gay marriage. After I "replied all" and sent out some rebuttals.

I think for most LDS that are anti-gay-marriage, it is gut level aversion and disgust towards gay sex. "We don't have to articulate a position or argument, because it's OBVIOUS that it is DISGUSTING and EVIL." I think that is a nice summation of a lot of people's arguments, even if they are unable to consciously realize it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote