cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default (Im)mutability of Same Gender Attraction

It occurs to me that one of the important sub-themes of the whole discussion on Same-Sex marriage is the degree to which same-sex attraction is mutable. If same-gender attraction cannot be avoided or overcome (and not merely unhealthily repressed in a manner that causes severe anguish to one who experiences it), then to resist it is senseless. If all who are homosexual are, were, and ever will be homosexual in spite of any pressure or influence to the contrary, there's no sense fighting it.

But as I stop to think about it, I can't recall reading any studies claiming either mutability or immutability of same gender attraction. I've read plenty of studies that suggest genetic predisposition, but not whether environmental factors contribute. Are any readers here aware of any studies that suggest the either mutability or immutability of same gender attraction? If so, cite here, please. I'd be interested to see which side of the coin the inquiries suggest is correct.

And, if I may, I would kindly request that we leave most of the bickering that characterizes the other threads on this matter there, and reserve this particular line of thought for honest and thoughtful evaluation. Let the evidence itself speak its own volumes without interruption.

Thank you.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Really? Nobody has anything to say on this one?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Gays don't choose to be gay. This is not a controversial point among reasoning people. For starters, why would they? Even the Catholic Church has said in an encyclical that the desire to make love to a same sex partner is not a sin. Mormons don't even have the spine to call it a choice.

This is such an old, well trod issue, and the evidence and common sense is so overwhelmingly one sided, probably no one cares to discuss this with you. I don't care to and don't plan to beyond this. The issue is open and shut. I'm amazed that the immutability/mutability issue just occurred to you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

P.S., it's not a "sub-theme." It's the whole ball game. It's why now once again the LDS Church is DEAD WRONG!

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Gays don't choose to be gay. This is not a controversial point among reasoning people. For starters, why would they? Even the Catholic Church has said in an encyclical that the desire to make love to a same sex partner is not a sin. Mormons don't even have the spine to call it a choice.

This is such an old, well trod issue, and the evidence and common sense is so overwhelmingly one sided, probably no one cares to discuss this with you. I don't care to and don't plan to beyond this. The issue is open and shut. I'm amazed that the immutability/mutability issue just occurred to you.
Good argument, SU. "I'm right, and anyone who disagrees with me is a judgmental imbecile."

What about those (and they do exist) who claim to have been gay, but say they are no longer? I'm sure SU will let us know that all of them are simply bowing to pressure and are lying, just to find acceptance. The all-knowing SU knows their thoughts and emotions, and has spoken. The thinking is done. Follow the great SU! (the singing begins - "Follow the prophet, ...he knows the way!")
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

better question: does the Mormon church want gay men to get married to straight women?

I think the obvioius answer is "yes they do".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
better question: does the Mormon church want gay men to get married to straight women?

I think the obvioius answer is "yes they do".

Quote:
And, if I may, I would kindly request that we leave most of the bickering that characterizes the other threads on this matter there, and reserve this particular line of thought for honest and thoughtful evaluation. Let the evidence itself speak its own volumes without interruption.

Thank you.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Indy that's why no one has engaged him. He hasn't asked smart questions, and he has put limitations that while they say "no bickering" what they really mean is "no controversy, and non disagreement."

It's a legitimate question, and it goes to the so-called mutability question.

The church would have a gay man marry a straight woman if it is possible he can "fake" his way through it and have sex from time to time and be monogamous. Yet I doubt there is a single person here who would have his daughter marry such a person.

And there is the disconnect.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I don't see that as the key issue. It's impossible to live a sinless life, yet that is what we are asked to do. Same diff...no?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Indy that's why no one has engaged him. He hasn't asked smart questions, and he has put limitations that while they say "no bickering" what they really mean is "no controversy, and non disagreement."

It's a legitimate question, and it goes to the so-called mutability question.

The church would have a gay man marry a straight woman if it is possible he can "fake" his way through it and have sex from time to time and be monogamous. Yet I doubt there is a single person here who would have his daughter marry such a person.

And there is the disconnect.
Without arguing labels about gay men and straight women, perhaps somebody can look it up, but the recent discussions reject your premise, gay men are encouraged to stay celibate, not to marry straight women. Can you find contrary evidence.