cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Then why would you create them? Your whole line of thinking here is not logical.
Didn't God also create jellyfish? Does he get involved in the daily activities of jellyfish?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #32
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
There is a scripture that says something like, "my ways are not your ways nor are my thoughts your thoughts, as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my way than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Just as I think it is not relevant to compare Gods feeling to us as we do say our parents feelings, I also think it is not relevant to compare how we would think if we were an imnipotent being and determine then how God thinks.

It comes down to belief and not scientific conclusion. My belief is God has an interest in our welfare, I can't prove it. I don't mean this in a combative way, but in reality I don't care if you believe it or not. In that way you now know I feel the same way about your welfare as you think God feels about your welfare.
I'm really not trying to be a dick, and I don't mean to belittle anyone's belief in their own personal higher power, but it's something I think about a lot as I try to puzzle through my feelings about God and my place in the universe.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #33
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Don't take my word for it (please don't be distracted by the link's title; it's just handy source but the title is meaningless):

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/einstein.htm

I'm telling you that hundreds of millions of humans have been enriched beyond measure by this liberating perspective. My "religion" is the fastest growing ever.
Half those quotes I wouldn't consider positive, and the other half I believe (as an active Mormon) so I guess I am indifferent to positive atheism (do I capitalize that?) If these quotes/affirmations help you sleep at night, I am happy, I mean that. I just hope you didn't run across this page in a late night web surfing session, and now it has become your "religion."
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Half those quotes I wouldn't consider positive, and the other half I believe (as an active Mormon) so I guess I am indifferent to positive atheism (do I capitalize that?) If these quotes/affirmations help you sleep at night, I am happy, I mean that. I just hope you didn't run across this page in a late night web surfing session, and now it has become your "religion."
Why did you get distracted by the title? I asked you not to. I don't even know what "positive atheism" even means, nor do I care a whit.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why did you get distracted by the title? I asked you not to. I don't even know what "positive atheism" even means, nor do I care a whit.

I see you have found your missioanry zeal once again.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #36
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Didn't God also create jellyfish? Does he get involved in the daily activities of jellyfish?
You don't see a difference between jellyfish and humans as far as having a potential relationship with a God?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #37
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
This was the first time I ever saw the page. I just know that Einstein has said some things that capture eloquently the modern and post-modern perspective shared by most thinking people of our age. There's nothing original or unique here. He wasn't a famous philosopher. I could have given you a bunch of quotes from David Hume, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, Spinoza, Darwin or nonsequiter and many others and they'd have had the same message.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #38
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if, since all time is omnipresent before God, that he is aware of an individual's many good works past, present and future, and that storage of "oil in the lamp" renders him worthy to be guided and comforted even at the points in time when he would normally seem "unworthy."

All things considered, suppose a soldier at war just saw half of his platoon murdered, and has witnessed genocide and carnage for several months, and begins acting irrationally due to all of the trauma, and his battle buddy gives him a pack of cigarettes to calm him down. Oh the horror- he breaks the word of wisdom! -I would think that God would "judge" that act differently than he would a spoiled teenager who lights up just to show Archie and Betty how cool he is.

A petty example yes, but my point is I wonder if some people are more quickly forgiven than others, and the sinner's "sins" are quickly excused and the comforter returns without a long drawn-out "soul searching" process.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #39
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The spirit's guidance is like a radio transmission--always on. I hear it when I tune in to it. No matter how unrighteous, if one desires it and seeks it, they will get it.
Holy MTC flashback!

Tune in next week when Jay Santos explains the Resurrection using a glove on his hand. Or by separating the outer plastic tube and the inner ink tube of a ball point pen.

If you register now, Jay will also explain how Satan controls the water only while you are on your mission.

Operators are standing by....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #40
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This was the first time I ever saw the page. I just know that Einstein has said some things that capture eloquently the modern and post-modern perspective shared by most thinking people of our age. There's nothing original or unique here. He wasn't a famous philosopher. I could have given you a bunch of quotes from David Hume, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, Spinoza, Darwin or nonsequiter and many others and they'd have had the same message.
I am sorry, I kind of did get distracted by the title. I forgot atheists don't like to be labeled. Why is that? So are you trying to say I am not a thinking person of this age?
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote