cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Why would you wear a no button to church unless you wanted to stick in someones face. I think they (the button wearers) are probably so upset over the churches support they wanted their recommends pulled.

I don't feel any compassion for them in any way. I am not a rah rah mormon guy, but I also don't have empathy for folks who want to openly protest and challenge the leaders. It isn't a democracy. It isn't a club or fraternity.

If someone on this board got their recommend jerked for just expressing their opinion, that is one thing that would bother me, but open confrontation in church. I say see ya and best of luck in some club where you will feel more comfortable.
Amen.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Is this a joke? If not, good for your Bishop. Were you a YM leader at the time?
It isn't a joke. I enjoy my freedom of speech. Are you suggesting that I do not have the freedom to express myself peacefully?

I think it is wrong to force kids to go on missions, so I wore a button that said Missions were Optional. Truthfully, they are, as nothing happens to you if you don't go.

The Bishop asked to take it off, but not because he disagreed with me.

I still am in YMs. I teach the Priests.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
It isn't a joke. I enjoy my freedom of speech. Are you suggesting that I do not have the freedom to express myself peacefully?

I think it is wrong to force kids to go on missions, so I wore a button that said Missions were Optional. Truthfully, they are, as nothing happens to you if you don't go.

The Bishop asked to take it off, but not because he disagreed with me.

I still am in YMs. I teach the Priests.
Don't be an idiot, of course everyone has the freedom to express himself peacefully. That's not the issue. The issue is not whether or not missions are optional either. Of course they are. Of course it's wrong to force kids to go on missions. The issue is whether or not it's appropriate for the Priests' teacher to wear such a button. Apparently your Bishop thinks it isn't, and I agree with him. If you ask me, only a complete jackass would wear such a button to church.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Don't be an idiot, of course everyone has the freedom to express himself peacefully. That's not the issue. The issue is not whether or not missions are optional either. Of course they are. Of course it's wrong to force kids to go on missions. The issue is whether or not it's appropriate for the Priests' teacher to wear such a button. Apparently your Bishop thinks it isn't, and I agree with him. If you ask me, only a complete jackass would wear such a button to church.
If you agree that I can express myself and that the button was accurate, then what is wrong with wearing it?

I'd rather the Priests understand that they can speak their minds and express their concerns. And frankly, several of the Priests thought the button was really funny and cool.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you agree that I can express myself and that the button was accurate, then what is wrong with wearing it?

I'd rather the Priests understand that they can speak their minds and express their concerns. And frankly, several of the Priests thought the button was really funny and cool.
I've decided to tell my sons that if they choose not to serve a mission, I will be able to buy a Harley.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:

Because as a YM leader you are supposed to be teaching, and mentoring the priests in such a way that they will choose to serve honorable missions. I don't think that button of your's exactly fosters such an environment. Like I said, I agree with your what your Bishop did.

16, and 17 year old males think lots of things are really funny and cool. So what? Is that the standard by which we should judge everything to be appropriate or not at church? Geez... Now quit hijacking this thread.

Last edited by NorCal Cat; 10-21-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Because as a YM leader you are supposed to be teaching, and mentoring the priests in such a way that they will choose to serve honorable missions. I don't think that button of your's exactly fosters such an environment. Like I said, I agree with your what your Bishop did.

16, and 17 year old males think lots of things are really funny and cool. So what? Is that the standard by which we should judge everything to be appropriate or not at church? Geez...
I am teaching them that missions are optional. If they choose to serve, then by all means serve an honorable mission. But they dont have to go if they dont want to go. And they need to know that.

I definitely have talked to them about my mission. But i give them the real scoop....that missions are awesome, but sometimes they are hard work, sometimes boring, you get homesick, you miss dating women, lots of missionaries are disobedient, some of the local women flirt with you a lot, etc...a few priests have told me privately that I have told them things that their own parents had never told them about missions, but that they felt I was being straight-up with them. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #18
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
I am teaching them that missions are optional. If they choose to serve, then by all means serve an honorable mission. But they dont have to go if they dont want to go. And they need to know that.

I definitely have talked to them about my mission. But i give them the real scoop....that missions are awesome, but sometimes they are hard work, sometimes boring, you get homesick, you miss dating women, lots of missionaries are disobedient, some of the local women flirt with you a lot, etc...a few priests have told me privately that I have told them things that their own parents had never told them about missions, but that they felt I was being straight-up with them. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I would tell them those same things.

It depends how you present the "optional" aspect though, and how much emphasis you place on the benefits of serving, and how it can change one's life for the better in ways nothing else can. I just don't think it is right to give them the impression that it is "no big deal" if they don't serve, or that it is not expected.

Last edited by NorCal Cat; 10-21-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I would tell them those same things.

It depends how you present the "optional" aspect though, and how much emphasis you place on the benefits of serving, and how it can change one's life for the better in ways nothing else can.
I have tried to be balanced. I always speak positively about my mission, but I do tell them that some people go and hate it, leave early, etc...some even lose their testimony, so I warn the priests that if they do go, they need to make sure to not argue with Jehovah's Witnesses or read those crazy pamphlets.

The other thing about the "real" scoop that the priests seem to like.....I think they have this impression that everyone on a mission is perfect. I tell them that most missionaries wind up sleeping in after awhile, listening to music, etc...and that seems to be a relief to the kids.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have tried to be balanced. I always speak positively about my mission, but I do tell them that some people go and hate it, leave early, etc...some even lose their testimony, so I warn the priests that if they do go, they need to make sure to not argue with Jehovah's Witnesses or read those crazy pamphlets.

The other thing about the "real" scoop that the priests seem to like.....I think they have this impression that everyone on a mission is perfect. I tell them that most missionaries wind up sleeping in after awhile, listening to music, etc...and that seems to be a relief to the kids.
Be sure to tell them that if they are able to get an athletic scholarship offer from BYU, their mission only lasts a few months!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote