cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #21
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The First Presidency donated under the names Stalin, Pol Pot, and Saddam Hussein.

I'm not sure what names the Twelve used, but I heard a rumor that Packer got dibs on using Osama bin Laden.
They could have just used "TEX" instead.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout View Post
They could have just used "TEX" instead.
Already taken. I donated under the name Tex Bigot. Look it up.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout View Post
You raise an interesting point. Go to http://mormonsfor8.com/ and check the donor rolls to see how many of the FP or Q12 have personally donated their own money to this effort. I think it speaks volumes that they have not put their own money where their mouths are on Prop 8.
Wow- that is actually a bit surprising. Maybe now when I am asked to donate, I will just say I will donate the same amount of money that the 12 have donated.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I think this is him - http://www.josephvogel.net/id2.html

Can you really get a BS in English (not a BA)?
Aha. Now I remember.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #25
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Wow- that is actually a bit surprising. Maybe now when I am asked to donate, I will just say I will donate the same amount of money that the 12 have donated.
I have no comment on those who don't donate, but looking over the small donors list I was touched by several donations from people I know can barely make ends meet. These people are not motivated by any antipathy toward gays (indeed, one of them works as a hospice caregiver, frequently with AIDS patients, and is a kind of a local Mother Teresa), but rather out of devotion to the Church and its leaders. The Anti-8's who tar such donors with accusations of hate and bigotry are wrong, at least in the case of these donors. I'll be happy for their sakes when this thing ends next week.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I have no comment on those who don't donate, but looking over the small donors list I was touched by several donations from people I know can barely make ends meet. These people are not motivated by any antipathy toward gays (indeed, one of them works as a hospice caregiver, frequently with AIDS patients, and is a kind of a local Mother Teresa), but rather out of devotion to the Church and its leaders. The Anti-8's who tar such donors with accusations of hate and bigotry are wrong, at least in the case of these donors. I'll be happy for their sakes when this thing ends next week.
I agree. I had some of the same thoughts. I don't know a lot of the donors on the lists, but I do know a few. I think it is like any political movement. You have some people who have bad reasons for doing something, and some people who have good reasons for doing something, even if I don't agree with their conclusions.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Two comments. First, the church has not donated. Instead, the 19M is from members. My guess is the 12 don't donate because they do not want to try to draw the distinction between themselves and the church in the press. Note, I said that is a guess.

Second, the linked web site actually understates the number of members donating. At least from my area, as I recognize many names that are not identified as members who are , in fact, members. Thus, the number of donating members is certainly higher

I also concur with PAC's observations.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

This is an interesting article on the toll taken by the Church's involvement in Prop 8:

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_10797630

Some quotes:

Quote:
Latter-day Saints are free to disagree with their church on the issue without facing any sanction, said L. Whitney Clayton of the LDS Quorum of the Seventy. "We love them and bear them no ill will."
Quote:
Gary Lawrence, writing in the online Meridian Magazine, compared opponents of Proposition 8 to those who sided with Lucifer against Jesus in the pre-mortal existence. Others have questioned such members' faith and religious commitment, accusing them of undermining the prophet.
Other comments from Morris Thurston, Todd Compton and Armand Mauss. Check it out.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #29
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't I see a similar quote about opponents to Prop 8 siding with Lucifer on CB?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #30
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Didn't I see a similar quote about opponents to Prop 8 siding with Lucifer on CB?
I haven't even taken a stand against Prop. 8, but after saying nice (and accurate) things about my BIL, Morris Thurston, I was informed by one mullah that I would have to choose between the Church and my BIL.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking....
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote