cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 AM   #41
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
That's what people normally do when they can't hang. I imagine that doesn't go over well in court. What a weenie....you can dish it out, but not take it. lol.
This isn't court, Rocky. Ease up a bit.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #42
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

The problem is that we don't use the cross as a symbol. The logic in why we don't use the cross doesn't fly. And any other symbol that might be used now potentially can be compared to the cross symbol and the illogic of why we don't use it. The JS ring in this example is just one example of this.

P.S. using the LOL too much in arguing/trash talking comes across as immature, stupid, and generally lame. NorCal Cat and Rocky seem to use that tactic most often.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:51 AM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The problem is that we don't use the cross as a symbol. The logic in why we don't use the cross doesn't fly. And any other symbol that might be used now potentially can be compared to the cross symbol and the illogic of why we don't use it. The JS ring in this example is just one example of this.

P.S. using the LOL too much in arguing/trash talking comes across as immature, stupid, and generally lame. NorCal Cat and Rocky seem to use that tactic most often.
What do you mean the logic for disrespecting the use of the cross "doesn't fly"?

I'm happy we don't worship graven images, but rather tangible beings. The ring stuff is offensive.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:08 AM   #44
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What do you mean the logic for disrespecting the use of the cross "doesn't fly"?

I'm happy we don't worship graven images, but rather tangible beings. The ring stuff is offensive.
Archaea,

I think the usual explanation (these days at least) is that crosses focus on the dying Jesus or death of Jesus, and we choose to focus on His resurrection. I think Jay rightly implies that is not what it represents for most christians.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Coming in late on this one.

I find myself more on the side of SIEQ on this one. Not that I'm terribly indignant or frustrated about it, but I am sick of Mormon kitsch. The worst place for this isn't Salt Lake, it's Nauvoo. They have every gimicky little trinket to try and profit off of members emotions while visiting the area. I went there a few years ago for the first time and saw this T-shirt. Pathetic.

Wow. That is bad.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #46
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

When reading about Joseph's account of his visits from Moroni, and how Moroni's robe was open and he could see his bosom, I was saddened to hear no description of thugz necklaces or playaz ornaments. I'll have to throw out most of my wardrobe.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #47
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Archaea,

I think the usual explanation (these days at least) is that crosses focus on the dying Jesus or death of Jesus, and we choose to focus on His resurrection. I think Jay rightly implies that is not what it represents for most christians.
What does it represent to most Christians if not the death and suffering of Christ?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not offended by the ring in the least.

Now if Franklin Mint comes out with their own version, then it's a different ballgame.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #49
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not offended by the ring in the least.

Now if Franklin Mint comes out with their own version, then it's a different ballgame.
Why would that be offensive but not Deseret Book?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #50
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What does it represent to most Christians if not the death and suffering of Christ?
I think for many christians it represents that Jesus conquered both death and suffering. No doubt this isn't true for every Christian, but I do think that the cross can represent the ressurrected Jesus since after all it is an empty cross.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote