cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=RockyBalboa;67754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Seattle provides the worldview. If LDS are unwilling to stand and understand the worldview, we will cease to have legitimacy. We can have his watered down version of the worldview in the comfort of friends, or we can experience without that comfort. His view is not going to disappear because we ignore it.

I don't view Seattle as trying to cause upheaval, except with those silly enought to get riled up by some of his blindspots. He still has LDS relatives and will continue to have connection to the LDS faith for the remander of his life. Aaron is simply a mindless nothing. There is a wide chasm between the two.

And in seeking out a worldview defined by existing culture, Seattle in his own way is seeking truth and knowledge for himself.

The point is, you could find wisdom in the perspectives of others and if you chose to be more contemplative and diplomatic, we might find wisdom in your perspective. It is a false dichotomy that because somebody does not agree with me, he must be of the devil. I do not find your perspective to be Satanic, but simply one of a myriad of possibiliities. You see those who do not agree with you as apostates and of the devil. Are you not old enought to disbelieve that notion now?[/QUOTE

Like I said, the only difference between the 2 are intelligence and style points.

That's it.

You and I are simply just not going to agree here.
Well we definitely agree that Seattle's intelligence and style far exceeds anything that social moron Aaron Shaf can produce. Shaf only parrots information without understanding. Seattle can actually produce a self-generated thought and articulate it cogently. You may not enjoy the thought and may believe he's only doing it to demean you, but I see him doing it sarcastically with a point of identifying what others in the world actually believe about our viewpoints. Most LDS have no idea how others perceive our doctrines and we become easily offended if somebody doesn't believe our customs and traditions or tries to poke holes into them. I don't take offense any longer. The offense would blind me into understanding what aspects of their thought I should examine and how to reexamine another way of looking at my own beliefs.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #32
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

[QUOTE=Archaea;67785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

Well we definitely agree that Seattle's intelligence and style far exceeds anything that social moron Aaron Shaf can produce. Shaf only parrots information without understanding. Seattle can actually produce a self-generated thought and articulate it cogently. You may not enjoy the thought and may believe he's only doing it to demean you, but I see him doing it sarcastically with a point of identifying what others in the world actually believe about our viewpoints. Most LDS have no idea how others perceive our doctrines and we become easily offended if somebody doesn't believe our customs and traditions or tries to poke holes into them. I don't take offense any longer. The offense would blind me into understanding what aspects of their thought I should examine and how to reexamine another way of looking at my own beliefs.
However you wanna justify it is certainly up to you and no surprise to me.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #33
Archaea

[quote=RockyBalboa;67795]
Quote:

Sadly, no matter how hard I try to get you to think, you just insult. I surrender. I cannot make you think outside the box. Stay within it if it makes you happy.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #34
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=RockyBalboa;67795]
Quote:

Let me ask you an honest question, Rocky. Do you think the people who put out the anti-mormon literature are any less sincere in their beliefs than you are in yours? Do you think SU is any less sincere in his beliefs than you are in yours? If someone is sincerely expressing a belief, why the hostility? Why is it so difficult to simply disagree?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #35
Archaea

[quote=non sequitur;67802]
Quote:

Let me ask you an honest question, Rocky. Do you think the people who put out the anti-mormon literature are any less sincere in their beliefs than you are in yours? Do you think SU is any less sincere in his beliefs than you are in yours? If someone is sincerely expressing a belief, why the hostility? Why is it so difficult to simply disagree?
Because anybody who disagrees with Rocky is bad, evil person destined for outer darkness with no possibility of redemption. We're all going to hell and he will enjoy us rotting there as he sits up on his throne divine peering down into the lowest levels of purgatory danteesque.

Hugh B. Brown was evil because he was an intellectual, don't you know.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #36
RockyBalboa

[QUOTE=Archaea;67800]
Quote:

Sadly, no matter how hard I try to get you to think, you just insult. I surrender. I cannot make you think outside the box. Stay within it if it makes you happy.
It wasn't an insult, it was what I really thought. I honestly expected another wordy and overwrought response from you. I thought you had thicker skin and if you take that as an insult then so be it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #37
Archaea

[quote=RockyBalboa;67804]
Quote:

It wasn't an insult, it was what I really thought. I honestly expected another wordy and overwrought response from you. I thought you had thicker skin and if you take that as an insult then so be it.
Where is the thought in your response? Thoughts require contemplation, analysis, cogitation and responses arising out of the inner reason. A vituperative response is nothing more than an insult. I'm trying to lure you out of your shell of emotion into a world of reason and intellect, and you heap insult. Perhaps it is more tied to your lack of rhetoric than malintent.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #38
RockyBalboa

[QUOTE=non sequitur;67802]
Quote:

Nope I don't believe that. I don't hold you and SeattleUte or Aaronshaf in the same context.

You don't believe because of your own personal thoughts and convictions. I respect that.

SeattleUte and Aaronshaf also don't believe because of their own personal convictions. There is a difference between disagreeing and seeking to tear ones personal convictions to pieces.

The similarities end there. SU and Aaron both seek to tear down and degrade. They simply use different styles. One is obviously more intelligent and provocative than the other.

It really is as simple as that. I don't think everyone who doesn't believe is evil etc.etc..etc....and I've never once said as much...not one single time. What I've said and what is assumed by you and Arch is entirely different. Arch reads what I write and automatically adds words I've never said,,,yes literally adding words to change the meaning of my position which makes him intellectually dishonest.

I respect your decision to believe otherwise. I don't have a problem with it. I don't see you actively trying to tear down and denigrate those who do strongly believe in it either. I've a healthy amount of respect for you. I've also met you a couple of times and enjoyed talking with you.

People like Seattle and Aaron I do not respect. Their motives are transparent.

Note: This has nothing to do with other aspects of intellectualism...I'm speaking specifically about the LDS Doctrine, culture, beliefs...etc.

That's how I feel and I stand by it.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-26-2007 at 11:32 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #39
RockyBalboa

[QUOTE=Archaea;67805]
Quote:

Where is the thought in your response? Thoughts require contemplation, analysis, cogitation and responses arising out of the inner reason. A vituperative response is nothing more than an insult. I'm trying to lure you out of your shell of emotion into a world of reason and intellect, and you heap insult. Perhaps it is more tied to your lack of rhetoric than malintent.
My responses have been very reasonsed and thought out. Whether you think so or not is obviously irrelevant because we are not going to agree.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 PM   #40
Archaea

[quote=RockyBalboa;67808]
Quote:

My responses have been very reasonsed and thought out. Whether you think so or not is obviously irrelevant because we are not going to agree.
If you believe you words were so well-reasoned and considered, why do you believe nonsequitur posted the question?

It appears from your posts that you do dislike and hold disdain for many if not most of us. And the reasoning is unclear.