cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
At which point it will still be thirty years behind.
Probably so. I can think of a lot worse things in life.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
How would the church go about doing that? Affirmative action for General Authority positions?

I believe diversity in any group is a good thing. It offers perspectives and viewpoints that serve to improve the actions and decisions of the whole. I don't think that race should be a qualification for a calling in the church. They should look for the best men for the job, not the best white, black, brown, or phosphorescent men. Reason dictates that the best men will usually have been members of the church for some time, which usually dictates that they will be white and have lived in Utah. It's a natural coincidence, not a deliberate byproduct of racist tendencies, and I don't think a lack of diversity at the top is such a huge problem as to require that the church fix a system that isn't broken.
White males frequently find a lack of diversity at the top of any institution to not be a tremendous problem.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How would the church go about doing that? Affirmative action for General Authority positions?

I believe diversity in any group is a good thing. It offers perspectives and viewpoints that serve to improve the actions and decisions of the whole. I don't think that race should be a qualification for a calling in the church. They should look for the best men for the job, not the best white, black, brown, or phosphorescent men. Reason dictates that the best men will usually have been members of the church for some time, which usually dictates that they will be white and have lived in Utah. It's a natural coincidence, not a deliberate byproduct of racist tendencies, and I don't think a lack of diversity at the top is such a huge problem as to require that the church fix a system that isn't broken.
GAs tend to call other people to be GAs that they know and trust. GAs getting out on the world scene more will help, but we'll really turn the corner when you see faith promoting Mormon books (and talk tapes and videos and the like) being written and broadly distributed by members in Brazil, Phillipines, Nigeria, Korea, wherever. When these works are being translated into English, and are being read by the English speaking Church, we'll be cooking with gas. Multiple GAs speaking in conference with their comments being translated into English would be a healthy sign too.

In this vein, I'd push Deseret Book to ramp up international publishing on all fronts. Continue to translate English works into native languages, but push hard for indigenous authors and works.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
GAs tend to call other people to be GAs that they know and trust. GAs getting out on the world scene more will help, but we'll really turn the corner when you see faith promoting Mormon books (and talk tapes and videos and the like) being written and broadly distributed by members in Brazil, Phillipines, Nigeria, Korea, wherever. When these works are being translated into English, and are being read by the English speaking Church, we'll be cooking with gas. Multiple GAs speaking in conference with their comments being translated into English would be a healthy sign too.

In this vein, I'd push Deseret Book to ramp up international publishing on all fronts. Continue to translate English works into native languages, but push hard for indigenous authors and works.
Agreed. I have been hoping for a non-English talk in General Conference for years now. I don't know why it hasn't happened; it seems like an obvious step towards demonstrating diversity in the church.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This would be my question as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
White males frequently find a lack of diversity at the top of any institution to not be a tremendous problem.
Contrary to what Sandra Day O'Connor thinks, I do not believe the goal of racial diversity is of critical importance for anything other than political correctness. An institution can be a racial kaleidescope and still be intellectually monotone.

More to the point, diversity of any kind is not really the church's primary goal (or, dare I say, the Lord's goal). The Jews, the Protestants -- they are comfortable being broken into two dozen pieces and still consider themselves "one" on some strange level. The LDS church is not looking for this kind of "diversity." It's hard to be diverse when you're the "only true church."

Quote:
GAs tend to call other people to be GAs that they know and trust. GAs getting out on the world scene more will help,
Is it your contention that GAs are not "getting out on the world scene"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
Tex

Quote:
... an obvious step towards demonstrating diversity in the church.
Case in point.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #17
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Touche.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I've never read an indigenous LDS author. Have you?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Contrary to what Sandra Day O'Connor thinks, I do not believe the goal of racial diversity is of critical importance for anything other than political correctness. An institution can be a racial kaleidescope and still be intellectually monotone.
I can agree that racial diversity will not always contribute to a diversity of views, but I disagree it addresses only PC issues. Mind you, I'm not much into PC, but I do care about representation of interests.

Quote:
More to the point, diversity of any kind is not really the church's primary goal (or, dare I say, the Lord's goal).
There you go again exhibiting hubris of knowing what Deity desires.

Quote:
The Jews, the Protestants -- they are comfortable being broken into two dozen pieces and still consider themselves "one" on some strange level. The LDS church is not looking for this kind of "diversity." It's hard to be diverse when you're the "only true church."
It's not just an issue of diversity. The Church is many things, and will not be able to govern efficiently and effectively, until the views of members throughout the world are considered. We will always see some disconnect until the needs of all members are important. Apparently to you, the needs of white male members are most important.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There you go again exhibiting hubris of knowing what Deity desires.
I posted that just for you. Good to see Pavlov's principle still holds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I can agree that racial diversity will not always contribute to a diversity of views, but I disagree it addresses only PC issues. Mind you, I'm not much into PC, but I do care about representation of interests.

It's not just an issue of diversity. The Church is many things, and will not be able to govern efficiently and effectively, until the views of members throughout the world are considered. We will always see some disconnect until the needs of all members are important. Apparently to you, the needs of white male members are most important.
Is it your contention that the Church does not consider the views or needs of some of its members, particularly minority members? If so, which members and which views or needs? Be specific.

Caveat: the needs and views of "intellectuals" do not count.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young