cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm not surprised that we're misunderstood. Just talk to a Latter-day Saint about Jehovah Witness teachings or the differences among Protestant denominations and you'll get an incredible amount of bias and misinformation. When we're willfuly ignorant about the beliefs of others, we shouldn't be surprised that others follow suit.

I think the bigger question is why we should care? For the past ten years, we've heard quite a bit about the PR campaign of the church. After all of these efforts, it seems clear that it has met it's intended purpose. I think there is a lesson there. That is, we shouldn't care. We should proudly believe what we believe, no matter how bizarre it seems to others. Wordly acceptance is not now, nor has it ever been, the aim of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Here is why I care. I don't live in Goshen, Ut. Population 1000 and all LDS where the Bishop tells you it is OK to kidnap your daughter and save her from marrying the wrong guy.

I have to deal with people who are not members of my faith. I don't want them with the preconceived notion that because I am a BYU grad. I think anyone who has a drink or smokes a cigar is a lepar.

As far as my beliefs go I will discuss them with anyone and I will stick to them. I just prefer not to be automatically associated with beliefs I don't have.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Here is why I care. I don't live in Goshen, Ut. Population 1000 and all LDS where the Bishop tells you it is OK to kidnap your daughter and save her from marrying the wrong guy.

I have to deal with people who are not members of my faith. I don't want them with the preconceived notion that because I am a BYU grad. I think anyone who has a drink or smokes a cigar is a lepar.

As far as my beliefs go I will discuss them with anyone and I will stick to them. I just prefer not to be automatically associated with beliefs I don't have.
You don't want people who are willfully ignorant about your faith to think you're a nut. I'm sorry, but there is no solution to that problem. It's nobody's fault but theirs and they are the ones who should be embarrassed. Not you. The church has tried to dispel crazy notions through expensive and expansive PR campaigns, but it has fallen on deaf ears.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Usually I find that most professionals don't care if their business consultants are weird if they simply know their business. In Nevada they won't know your religion unless you advertise it. I usually don't reveal my religious affiliation until after I know they like me. IOW, sometimes they never know.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You don't want people who are willfully ignorant about your faith to think you're a nut. I'm sorry, but there is no solution to that problem. It's nobody's fault but theirs and they are the ones who should be embarrassed. Not you. The church has tried to dispel crazy notions through expensive and expansive PR campaigns, but it has fallen on deaf ears.
I agree with this.

I don't care what others think about my religious beliefs. I know what I believe and that's good enough for me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Usually I find that most professionals don't care if their business consultants are weird if they simply know their business. In Nevada they won't know your religion unless you advertise it. I usually don't reveal my religious affiliation until after I know they like me. IOW, sometimes they never know.
I rarely tell anyone what my religion is, but I will talk BYU sports a lot and people are capable of putting 2 and 2 together from there.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hey now. That's family you're talking about!
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
I think that was a Monticello family that kidnapped their daughter.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Personally, I don't think it is the lack of understanding that bothers a lot of people. I think it is the "we are better than you" attitude.

I have had encounters with non-members who don't like "the church". When we get into it, they like me, they like so and so, they like so and so and on and on. I ask, these are all mormons, why don't you like the church. The answer, you and they aren't typical. Most mormons think they are better than everyone else.

The PR falls on deaf ears for a reason.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Personally, I don't think it is the lack of understanding that bothers a lot of people. I think it is the "we are better than you" attitude.

I have had encounters with non-members who don't like "the church". When we get into it, they like me, they like so and so, they like so and so and on and on. I ask, these are all mormons, why don't you like the church. The answer, you and they aren't typical. Most mormons think they are better than everyone else.

Back to your original question. Why are you amazed that we're misunderstood if the members are pricks?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Maybe it's because we do think we're better than others. We're works focused and we're the true church. How could we NOT be better than everyone else?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote