cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I do not believe the claim that mankind is a direct descendant from a primordial single-celled animal is a open and shut case.
Do you believe that mice as direct descendants from primordial single-celled animals is an open and shut case?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I do not believe the claim that mankind is a direct descendant from a primordial single-celled animal is an open and shut case.
Indy does not believe in evolution. What he's doing is what Adam has accused Tex of doing. He's chickening out.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is irreconcilable with the evidence supporting evolution/natural selection/random mutation/speciation whatever you want to call it as presently understood by the mainstream scientific community. Emphasis is on randomness.

What you are is a freaking primitive biblical literalist purveyor of creationism in modern clothing.
If you believe that mankind is in the image of God, meaning we have the same anatomical features, then it is mathematically impossible to conclude that a myriad of "random" mutations over the course of billions of years would produce a life form that ended up looking like the guy that set the oven to 450 degrees and went out for a very long walk.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 07-11-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #14
SoonerCoug

Quote:
I do not believe the claim that mankind is a direct descendant from a primordial single-celled animal is an open and shut case.
Do you believe that mitochondria within our cells are the descendants of primitive "bacteria" which entered into a symbiotic relationship with more advanced cells, and that these mitochrondia have their own "bacteria-style" genomes and "bacteria-style" protein synthesis machinery?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Do you believe that mitochondria within our cells are the descendants of primitive "bacteria" which entered into a symbiotic relationship with more advanced cells, and that these mitochrondia have their own "bacteria-style" genomes and "bacteria-style" protein synthesis machinery?
I believe there are certain microscopic and anatomical blueprints that have been proven to work.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #16
SoonerCoug

Quote:
If you believe that mankind is in the image of God, meaning we have the same anatomical features, then it is mathematically impossible to conclude that a myriad of "random" mutations over the course of billions of years would produce a life form that ended up looking like the guy set the oven to 450 degrees and went out for a very long walk.
All mutations are random and easy to describe mathematically.

What mutations are selected for is also ultimately random, but selection depends on much more complex interactions that are more difficult to describe mathematically.

But if you envision a "clock maker" God who knows the result of any given set of circumstances, then you could conclude that the human body is the result of a set of circumstances that he knew would lead to a certain outcome. I think the important point is that God breathed a "soul" into our physical forms.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
If you believe that mankind is in the image of God, meaning we have the same anatomical features
LOL. Is it an open and shut case that this is so? Like I said, you're a freaking creationist. Just belly up and admit what you are. If you believe "it is mathematically impossible to conclude that a myriad of 'random' mutations over the course of billions of years would produce a [given] life form" that's what you are. You're outed.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
SoonerCoug

Quote:
I believe there are certain microscopic and anatomical blueprints that have been proven to work.
I don't understand what you're saying.

The point is that in every single one of your cells there is a little organelle which is an evolutionary descendant of a bacterium. I'm wondering how you reconcile that with your doubt of human evolution.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #19
SoonerCoug

Quote:
If you believe that mankind is in the image of God, meaning we have the same anatomical features, then it is mathematically impossible to conclude that a myriad of "random" mutations over the course of billions of years would produce a life form that ended up looking like the guy that set the oven to 450 degrees and went out for a very long walk.
I think you're missing the point that evolution truly is a science that can be described mathematically.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
LOL. Is it an open and shut case that this is so? Like I said, you're a freaking creationist. Just belly up and admit what you are. If you believe "it is mathematically impossible to conclude that a myriad of 'random' mutations over the course of billions of years would produce a [given] life form" that's what you are. You're outed.
If you believe in the "man is in God's image" premise, then I'd be curious how you can mathematically justify the cumulative sum of random mutations producing a person in God's image was a mathematical certainty.

If you don't believe in the intial premise, then the argument is completely moot.