cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #211
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Of course he gets it. Postmodernists place all theories, propositions and beliefs on equal footing, so why not accept as true an article from a scientist made deliberately nonsensical to expose the pretentious nonsense pervading a journal of postmodernism. Though nonsense to its author the article is truth to those who decided to publish it. Postmodernists are laughing because they laugh at everything. Everything is both sacred and profane. The're laughing at themselves ultimately.
Yes, I do laugh at myself frequently.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #212
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Ha! I don't think I'm the one who's bitterly disappointed at the religion of his youth now that he observes it with grown up eyes. You constantly project this sentiment on me, but look who's the real nihilist here. Let's start with this obvious proposition that ineluctably flows from you "postmodernist" cosmology. Why should anyone give any credence at all to your "testimony" that the Church is "good and true"? According to your own postmodernist philosophy, your "testimony" is just your own subjective truth, what you despartely want to be true, and, according to your own guiding philosophy, according to your own cosmology, it's as true as the theory of gravity, but only in your own mind, because you want it to be so! Just like speciation is only true in Richard Dawkins' own mind, and because he has made it a passing fad with some of us in the thrall of the establishment who wish to delude ourselves to be cool, someone else, say, a Muslim (whose tradition also includes bearing one's testimony that his relgious faith is true) has his own "testimony" of truth, which, like your testimony, and Dawkins' "theory" of speciation, is like confederate currency outside his own mind (and the minds of those he has brainwashed), but is unadulterated truth in his own mind. There is no absolute truth! A curious belief for a Mormon, but one that seems fairly commonplace among a certain class of them, it seems.

But you still are being disingenuous, by the way, because you are no self-restpecting post-modernist. By trying to brow beat me with presumed secret knowledge on my part that the LDS Church is "good and true" you are violating all that postmodernism stands for.
Your defense is to deflect my observation as projection. It's a clever tactic; the intellectual equivalent of I'm rubber you're glue …

The reality is it frustrates you that I have peered into your psyche and that it leaves you feeling naked. To further assuage your discomfort you then attempt to disrobe and dismantle the sacredness and power of my testimony through the lens of philosophy. Sophistry enables you to ignore sincere personal conviction, born of self-discovery and the inherent power of faith by claiming incompatibility –a silly notion and fundamental tenet of your flawed intellectual establishment approved dogma.

You claim to have liberated yourself from LDS ideological tyranny and pretend that your aim is to encourage others to do the same; to be free thinkers and throw off the shackles of oppressive Mormon religion and culture. It is tragic that in your efforts to liberate you abhor and strive to oppress free thinking individuals that do not crave the bitterness and anger you use as a poultice on your guilt and anguish.

Your aim is to create distractions in the hope that you are sufficiently occupied with erstwhile endeavors so that when the time comes you can excuse yourself as innocent.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #213
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm coming in late on this evolution discussion, but this article spurred my participation. It kind of sums up how I feel about evolution and the role of God.

http://www.theonion.com/content/opin...olution_except
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote