cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temple in France?

They announced/disclosed this past Sunday that The Church is in the process of trying to acquire large parcel of land (40 hectares or about 990 acres) west of Paris near Versaille for what everybody assumes will be a Temple. The reported cost will be between 39 and 40 million euros (or $45 - $48 million).

As one might expect, some opposition is forming with various newspaper articles focused on The Church. Among other things, they are reporting that:

- Mormon women are submissive to their husbands.
- Mormons recruit notably via free English classes and could possibly propose tourist trips to Utah, “their fiefdom,” as part of this effort.
- Mormons are a closed community where the place of women is reduced and insignificant.
- Religious instruction for Mormon youths is so important that they have little time for anything else.
- While not officially classified a dangerous cult, Mormons represent a deviant sectarian movement, according to Catherine Picard, President of the National Union of Associations for the Defense of Families and Individuals.

:roll:

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

my wife never got the memo.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope one day the Lord will build a temple in France ... of course oppositon in France will be a little more absurd but such opposition is to be expected and really is not unique as compared with other parts of the world where the church has sought to build a house of the Lord.

I've said it before, I love the French people and having observed thier reactions to political and social issues they remind me an awful lot of Americans ;-)
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
I hope one day the Lord will build a temple in France ... of course oppositon in France will be a little more absurd but such opposition is to be expected and really is not unique as compared with other parts of the world where the church has sought to build a house of the Lord.

I've said it before, I love the French people and having observed thier reactions to political and social issues they remind me an awful lot of Americans ;-)
Did you forget that you are American?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
myboynoah

Last night, France 2, one of the major television channels, ran a report on The Church's plans to build a temple here during it's prime time broadcast. Very factual and straightforward; almost seemed like it was geared to dispel a lot of the previously mentioned and reported myths. They showed a four-generation LDS family at home, shots of Sacrament Meeting, Priesthood Meeting, RS, and Primary.

They also talked with some people from Villepreux, the small village where the temple is planned. Some were indifferent and others expressed concern about Mormonism as a "sect" (cult). Some years ago there were some tragic cult incidents in France so the government did some investigating and established a list of dangerous "sects" which are restricted by law. I think Scientology made the list, but we did not. The program interviewed a Government official who drove home this point.

A very positive report, almost verging on propaganda.

I'm thinking of driving out to Villepreux this weekend and asking around about homes that could accommodate three wives, just to stir things up a bit.

:twisted:

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
I'm thinking of driving out to Villepreux this weekend and asking around about homes that could accommodate three wives, just to stir things up a bit.

:twisted:
Now that's funny.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:43 AM   #7
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Now there will be exactly two reasons to be walking on the streets of Paris with a funny rubberband line going across the brow.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
myboynoah

I understand the funny rubber band line left by a French beret (a permanent fixture on every French forehead), but for the life of me, I have no idea concerning the other to which you refer.

:P

Old 03-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Now there will be exactly two reasons to be walking on the streets of Paris with a funny rubberband line going across the brow.
LOL. Good one.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote