cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the NPR piece with Darron Smith

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionande.../feature.html#

Click on right hand side "watch this report."

Best part about it is the choir in the Harlem ward. Dang, wish we did that in my ward. They actually look like they are having fun.

More importantly, though, is the idea that the church leadership is silent about the ongoing slander by some Mormons of Black members (i.e. reasons for the priesthood ban).

But overall the piece is about how the church is growing a little bit among Blacks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the NPR piece with Darron Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week931/feature.html#

Best part about it is the choir in the Harlem ward. Dang, wish we did that in my ward. They actually look like they are having fun.

More importantly, though, is the idea that the church leadership is silent about the ongoing slander by some Mormons of Black members (i.e. reasons for the priesthood ban).

But overall the piece is about how the church is growing a little bit among Blacks.
I'm glad there are people like this to push the church and the membership to think a little harder about these things. I agree with comments elsewhere that it is somehow "un-LDS" to say anything that makes anyone uncomfortable, and yet, this is exactly how the "ban" got lifted in the first place. The civil rights movement, which members of the church came increasingly to agree with and align themsleves intellectually with, introduced powerful ideas which ultimately reached ears at the highest levels and prompted them to inquire of the Lord on these matters. Trust me that this sort of change was not ever going to spring from the intermountain western culture on its own.

I remember the first time I heard anyone say the word "nigger." It was my LDS grandfather who passed several years ago. He was a good man, about the age of much our current leadership, but was a product of his times. I believe the day will come, well down the road, when ideas like the ones (though not exactly of course) Darren Smith is putting forward will have so permeated the "moral compass" of the memebership and the leadership that we will decide to vaccum under that particular rug, rather than continue to sweep the tough questions there where they can be easily ignored.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope Darron isn't getting heat from his Bishop, SP, etc.

That would be disappointing.

Maybe we could get Darron to join the site and we could start a new section entirely dedicated to the intersection of blacks and Mormonism (religion, sports, etc.). (I know Darron)
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Maybe we could get Darron to join the site and we could start a new section entirely dedicated to the intersection of blacks and Mormonism (religion, sports, etc.). (I know Darron)
Sounds like an excellent idea.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That would be FANTASTIC.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Yes, EXCELLENT and FANTASTIC!

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the NPR piece with Darron Smith

Quote:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week931/feature.html#

Amen. I was quite pleased to hear President Hinckley take on racism during the Priesthood session last night. I would have preferred a direct critique on the so called "reasons" for the priesthood ban, but I'm still glad to hear him tell members of the church to stop being racist. My experience is that much racism in the church is tacit and from people who don't think they're being racist, which of course doesn't change the fact that they are.

I've read some of Darron Smith's articles and love the book he put together with Bringhurst. It's well-read and sitting on my shelf right now.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm also very much in favor of this idea.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #9
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

And while I'm thinking about it, I had the thought that Pres. Hinckley's remarks about racism were very important not just for those offenders among our membership. I thought his words were very significant for those LDS members who have quietly (or vocally, even) been the victims of such attitudes. Or who have always felt implicitly unaccepted or looked down upon.

In other words, I heard in his words a message that validates the experiences of some, as much as it condemned the actions of others.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote