cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone feel many talks given....

in conference were very general in their counsel? (meaning many religions could benefit from the words spoken)

any think grace was emphasized more than usual?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about the more general thing. I mean, it IS after all called General Conference.

But I did sense an emphasis on understanding, mercy, grace. Admonishments to slow down the judgment and stop being angry and bitter. Emphasis on the help of the Lord to get us through even the most difficult of life's experiences and conditions (I loved Holland's talk perhaps the most).

I'm with you: I don't know if it actually was more pronounced than in previous conferences, but it felt that way. I'm usually one to listen for that message and to notice when it is voiced, and I noticed it a lot this conference.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:55 AM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But I did sense an emphasis on understanding, mercy, grace. Admonishments to slow down the judgment and stop being angry and bitter.
That proves to me that general authorities are reading Cougarboard.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the only good thing about me being made a GA would be that it would probably cause the apostasy of 25% of cougarboard.

:lol:
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:36 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I think the only good thing about me being made a GA would be that it would probably cause the apostasy of 25% of cougarboard.

Come on, Mike. You would be the first one to apostatize if that call came down.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: anyone feel many talks given....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
in conference were very general in their counsel? (meaning many religions could benefit from the words spoken)

any think grace was emphasized more than usual?
I bet the word "Lamanite" was not once uttered. Am I right? That would be a huge difference from 25 years ago, give or take.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Look, I know the big thing around here is to bash the idea that native americans are related to the Lamanites, but there's a lot more than mormon tradition indicating its validity.

If the native americans are not descendants at least in part of the lamanites, please explain these verses:

D&C 28: 8

8 And now, behold, I say unto you that you shall go unto the Lamanites and preach my gospel unto them; and inasmuch as they receive thy teachings thou shalt cause my church to be established among them; and thou shalt have revelations, but write them not by way of commandment.

D&C 28: 9

9 And now, behold, I say unto you that it is not revealed, and no man knoweth where the city Zion shall be built, but it shall be given hereafter. Behold, I say unto you that it shall be on the borders by the Lamanites.

D&C 28: 14

14 And thou shalt assist to settle all these things, according to the covenants of the church, before thou shalt take thy journey among the Lamanites.

D&C 30: 6

6 And be you afflicted in all his afflictions, ever lifting up your heart unto me in prayer and faith, for his and your deliverance; for I have given unto him power to build up my church among the Lamanites;

D&C 32: 2

2 And that which I have appointed unto him is that he shall go with my servants, Oliver Cowdery and Peter Whitmer, Jun., into the wilderness among the Lamanites.

Limited geography theory does not exclude the possibility that Lamanites could have left genetic traces in other tribes. These verses, in fact, almost require it.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters

Read it some time, some of them are halfway there already.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Elder Oaks stated General Authorities teach general principles to a general audience. With that being said, I've never heard anything overly profound during the sessions.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:10 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

GBH caught my attention when he said "you will never hear a talk like this".

I was a little perplexed by his talk. Nostalgia. A link to the past. Personal details.

I think he was sending the message, that though the stalwarts pass on, the church continues.

Perhaps he had moments when he wondered what the future will hold. But now he knows that we are but actors on the stage and the Director is in control.

His talk had the elment of "he who can hear let him hear." I think. But who knows.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote