cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An argument against Colossians being authentic is the unusual use of genitive

W. Bujard, Stilanalytische Unterschungen zum Kolosserfrief als Beitrag zur Methodik von Sprachvergleichen (1973) see the commentary in Guthrie p574-5

Or so says this guy. Does anybody have access to it?

And can you explain what's so unusual about it. Here are the verses in question: (1:27, 2:11, 2:19, 3:24).

1:27 οἷς ἠθέλησεν ὁ θεὸς γνωρίσαι τί τὸ πλοῦτος τῆς δόξης τοῦ μυστηρίου τούτου ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν ὅ ἐστιν Χριστὸς ἐν ὑμῖν ἡ ἐλπὶς τῆς δόξης

In this verse I see the genitive form of mystery and the demonstrative pronoun.

2:11
Quote:
ἐν ᾧ καὶ περιετμήθητε περιτομῇ ἀχειροποιήτῳ ἐν τῇ ἀπεκδύσει τοῦ σώματος τῆς σαρκός ἐν τῇ περιτομῇ τοῦ Χριστοῦ
Circumcision of Christ is genitive.

2:19
Quote:
καὶ οὐ κρατῶν τὴν κεφαλήν ἐξ οὗ πᾶν τὸ σῶμα διὰ τῶν ἁφῶν καὶ συνδέσμων ἐπιχορηγούμενον καὶ συμβιβαζόμενον αὔξει τὴν αὔξησιν τοῦ θεοῦ
of God.

3:24
Quote:
εἰδότες ὅτι ἀπὸ κυρίου ἀπολήμψεσθε τὴν ἀνταπόδοσιν τῆς κληρονομίας τῷ κυρίῳ Χριστῷ δουλεύετε
hoti apo ruioY away from the Lord.

Perhaps I'm just dense but why is this a compelling case against Colossians?

Pelagius once sent me an article by Ehrman which made a case which didn't seem overly compelling.

What am I missing guys and gals?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

when your significant other writes you a love letter, do you read commentary on it?

God's talking to you, why are you wasting time determining whether Paul wrote it or not? If it's in there it's inspired.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
when your significant other writes you a love letter, do you read commentary on it?

God's talking to you, why are you wasting time determining whether Paul wrote it or not? If it's in there it's inspired.
First, Chino, I'm just curious-- without looking it up, can you quote a single verse from Colossians?

Second, when a letter is written to you that says lots of things that your significant other might say to you, but you're not certain that your significant other is the actual author of the letter, would you try to find out who really wrote it?

To be fair, any effort to determine whether Paul wrote it or not probably IS "wasting time"-- I don't think anybody is going to figure it out anytime real soon-- but unless you believe that every word of the bible was written by God, I would think that an understanding of the authorship debate ought not be so quickly dismissed.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Archaea

Put it more bluntly, I don't trust the Church Fathers or bishops who rather arbitrarily determined which books to canonize and which ones not to canonize. They were proto-orthodox seeking to exclude others not yet in power.

There are seven epistles attributable to Paul, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, 1 Thessalonians, Galatians, Philemon, and Philippians.

The remaining six are in varying degrees of dispute, with Hebrews being the least disputed, modern scholarship even wondering how the epistle was ever attributed to Paul.

The others have varying arguments, with Ephesians, focusing upon the long sentences, 9 out of 50 sentences having more than fifty words or more whereas Romans only has 3 out of 580 some sentences that long, theological use of "ekklesia" in a universal form whereas most other letters are a focusing upon the local unit and a lack of eschatological content innate to Paul's writings.

So authorship is vital to see "what was correctly translated."
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
First, Chino, I'm just curious-- without looking it up, can you quote a single verse from Colossians?

Second, when a letter is written to you that says lots of things that your significant other might say to you, but you're not certain that your significant other is the actual author of the letter, would you try to find out who really wrote it?

To be fair, any effort to determine whether Paul wrote it or not probably IS "wasting time"-- I don't think anybody is going to figure it out anytime real soon-- but unless you believe that every word of the bible was written by God, I would think that an understanding of the authorship debate ought not be so quickly dismissed.
"In him dwelt the fullness of the godhead bodily." I actually read Colossians late 2007. I believe every book in the standard works is inspired by God.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
"In him dwelt the fullness of the godhead bodily." I actually read Colossians late 2007. I believe every book in the standard works is inspired by God.
Why?

Even RCC scholars who often held the traditionalist mode now agree only 7 of the 13 letters are authentic.

Do you believe in the sexist tone of the pastoral letters, which are generally considered unauthentic?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why?

Even RCC scholars who often held the traditionalist mode now agree only 7 of the 13 letters are authentic.

Do you believe in the sexist tone of the pastoral letters, which are generally considered unauthentic?
if by unauthentic you mean not Pauline, who cares?

unauthentic <> uninspired

inspiration, not authorship, is what matters.

racist tones are all over the BoM, so what? Authors are a product of their cultures too.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
if by unauthentic you mean not Pauline, who cares?

unauthentic <> uninspired

inspiration, not authorship, is what matters.

racist tones are all over the BoM, so what? Authors are a product of their cultures too.
I don't believe the six non authentic letters should be canon.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't believe the six non authentic letters should be canon.
you still haven't explained why a book should be dismissed just because Paul didn't write it.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
you still haven't explained why a book should be dismissed just because Paul didn't write it.
Who wrote it, then? Isn't the value of the epistles the fact it was written by an apostle? If we don't know who wrote it, how do we know whether it is authoritative?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote