cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
It's not about scoring points. It's about making plays for teammates. Making the game easier for them. Getting into the paint. Putting pressure on the defense. You know, be a point guard. He does none of that.

If he can do those things and his turnovers increase to 2.5 instead of 1.5, I can live with that.

I'm sorry, I have a hard time praising a guy whose only "contribution" is not making mistakes. Jarron Collins doesn't make mistakes - he also doesn't do anything else of value, therefore he sucks. Murdock is no different.

That said, it's fun to watch a group of fans continue to give a guy who shouldn't even be playing Division 1 basketball a pass just because he doesn't screw up a lot and he's all "we" have. The lack of a point guard is going to be the cause of another first round exit for a very good BYU team.
And I think it's humorous to watch a group of fans continually rail on a guy that's done everything right this year.

1. He makes good, smart passes.
2. He runs the offense, especially the transition offense, exceptionally well.
3. He rarely shoots (and in this case, it's a GOOD thing).
4. He doesn't do things he knows he can't do.

Personally, I can't think of many other things I really want from Murdock.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #22
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Murdock is not great but he is serviceable he has a nice assist to turnover ratio and he came up with 4 steals last night. Also I think Jimmer is better than Burgess right now, However Sam didnt score last night but he came up with 8 rebounds.

If we didnt need the scoring off the bench I would have no problem with Jimmer starting. The problem is right now if Jimmer doesnt come off the bench we have no scoring from our second unit.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #23
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
And I think it's humorous to watch a group of fans continually rail on a guy that's done everything right this year.

3. He rarely shoots (and in this case, it's a GOOD thing).
4. He doesn't do things he knows he can't do.

Personally, I can't think of many other things I really want from Murdock.
points 3 and 4 are good points and the reason I should clarify my main argument regarding Murdock.

I don't have a problem with Murdock. I do have a problem with the fact that
BYU doesn't have a legit D-1 starting point guard - whether that is Rose's fault in recruiting or other factors beyond Rose's control, I don't know. And I think the lack of said point guard is going to hurt BYU in the NCAA tournament.

Murdock has done an admirable job considering his lack of talent and ability.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Plaisted, likewise, has been excellent for someone with a terrible basketball IQ and a peanut-sized brain.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
points 3 and 4 are good points and the reason I should clarify my main argument regarding Murdock.

I don't have a problem with Murdock. I do have a problem with the fact that
BYU doesn't have a legit D-1 starting point guard - whether that is Rose's fault in recruiting or other factors beyond Rose's control, I don't know. And I think the lack of said point guard is going to hurt BYU in the NCAA tournament.

Murdock has done an admirable job considering his lack of talent and ability.
I'm kinda in the middle between SMR and spaz here. Murdock is the weak link of the team. He hurts us in that he's not able to penetrate and create. He hurts us in that we have to run our offense 35 ft from the basket against pressure teams. But compared to what BYU historically has had at point guard, he's not that bad. He manages the game and his TO to assist ratio is good.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm kinda in the middle between SMR and spaz here. Murdock is the weak link of the team. He hurts us in that he's not able to penetrate and create. He hurts us in that we have to run our offense 35 ft from the basket against pressure teams. But compared to what BYU historically has had at point guard, he's not that bad. He manages the game and his TO to assist ratio is good.
Actually, you're a lot closer to me than what my arguments may seem to make it appear.

I don't think Murdock is ideal by any means. I think he's been far better than what his 'detractors' claim.

And, based on recent performance, I believe Fredette would be a significant upgrade at point...NEXT YEAR.

It's not necessarily that Murdock is fantastic...it's just that his strengths fit with what BYU needs at the point this year. And given that, I DON'T think he'll be a serious liability come tourney time.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote